Experimenting with different flours?

Reaction score
What different types of flour do you use? I used a rye flour to make bread and it came out pretty good. Yet, when I bought some rye bread in the store I had an allergic reaction to it. Hoping it wasn't the rye because I do like the taste of rye. I've used whole wheat as well over the traditional all purpose white flour as well.

Reaction score
I often use gluten free white flour (available as plain or self raising. You can also buy gluten free baking powder). This is simply because a few of my friend's suffer with Coeliac's disease, and I feel bad when they get left out and everyone else is having cake etc.

I often get told on market stalls that people don't cater enough for Coeliacs, so I always make a gluten free batch of cupcakes, cookies and shortbread and keep them in tubs under the counter (Like contraband, haha!) ready for the inevitable question "You don't have any gluten free by any chance?". People never expect that I've decorated about 30 cupcakes with 10 or so different designs.. especially as children with the disease won't understand why their friends can have the colourful cakes and they're stuck with a 'special' biscuit with no decoration.. :/

I always try to cater for everyone and gluten free self raising flour has to be my best find yet; seeing little children's faces light up because they've never been allowed a cupcake before.. :)

Reaction score
The only other flour I have tried besides unbleached white flour is whole wheat flour. I try to sneak it into recipes to get some more healthy ingredients in, but I find that it is usually more gritty and obviously has a different flavor. I usually do a 1 cup to 1 cup exchange, but maybe I need to change it. I would love to find out how to integrate more whole grains/flours because I just got my cholesterol screening :(

Reaction score
the only other flour that i have used other than white flour is old wheat flour and i think i have somehow fallen in love with it's taste and i think it's more nutritional than the white flour.

Reaction score
I usually end up just using the regular old all purpose white flour, and I haven't really experimented much or thought much about other ones- the only other one I've even tried to use is wheat flour, but that's more for slight health reasons than taste reasons.

Reaction score
I have not used it yet, but I want to try using rice flour because it is supposed to be really good for you. I also read about a new wave of people who are using cricket flour, which is absolutely gross to me.

Reaction score
I've only gone as far as using all-purpose flour and wheat flour. I definitely want to try with other types of flour though but what I have found is that many times other flour (like rice flour) you need to use it in conjunction with many other types of flour. I just don't use these enough to justify buying it, but maybe one day I'll get out of my comfort zone and do it. Plus it's a great way to try gluten-free recipes!

Ask a Question