Farmers Market

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'll be starting to sell cupcakes at my local farmers market starting in June, thru September near Cleveland Ohio. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or help with selling at farmers markets and keeping the cupcakes cool enough so the buttercream doesn't slip off or melt. And if anyone has had any luck or thinks it's worth the time? It's one day a week from 4-8 pm. Any recommended portable show cases ect? Also any info for new businesses is great as I am just starting mine had my my first large order today and am exhausted after baking almost 200 cupcakes :( it was kinda overwhelming since I'm use to just baking for fun. Don't get me wrong this is what I want but wooo weee its nerve racking starting up!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Reaction score
There are fridges and freezers you can get that will fit in your vehicle. Usually people with trucks will have these in the back of the trucks. They have them plugged in at home, and then plug them in when they get to where they are going.

There are mobile coolers of all kinds, you would just have to find the one that will work for your needs.

If you have single cupcakes in plastic domes, then you can have a bit more leverage on moving them around without the possibility of messing them up. And if the frosting melts, then it stays contained.
aba9efdcebc415c07479138db37a5964.jpg

I like the plastic cups/domes they use for ice cream sundaes. I think they look the best and hold the cupcake in place.
There are many varieties of plastic dome cupcake containers though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it's worth it depends a lot on the popularity of the market, your table fee, your profit margin, etc. Advertise so people know to look for you at the market. If you don't have one already, a Facebook page for your business can be a big help.

Practise your table set-up beforehand. It can take longer than expected if you don't already know where things will go. Have you read up on tips yet for setting up your table to optimize sales?

I've seen vendors with regular coolers instead of the plug-in ones, if you want something less expensive while you're starting out. They'll keep your cupcakes at least a few degrees cooler, and you rotate stock as needed. But if you're looking at 90 degree weather (how hot does Ohio get?), a plug-in cooler is the way to go.

I used to work in a cupcake bakery, and we did a few events. I was surprised how well frosting shots sold...just condiment containers filled with homemade frosting. And frosting-stuffed cookie sandwiches were a big hit. Both keep longer than cupcakes if you want something to supplement your stock.

Good luck to you! It can be quite an adventure, stressful at times, but try to keep your joy about it instead of overwhelming yourself.

Reaction score
If it's worth it depends a lot on the popularity of the market, your table fee, your profit margin, etc. Advertise so people know to look for you at the market. If you don't have one already, a Facebook page for your business can be a big help.

Practise your table set-up beforehand. It can take longer than expected if you don't already know where things will go. Have you read up on tips yet for setting up your table to optimize sales?

I've seen vendors with regular coolers instead of the plug-in ones, if you want something less expensive while you're starting out. They'll keep your cupcakes at least a few degrees cooler, and you rotate stock as needed. But if you're looking at 90 degree weather (how hot does Ohio get?), a plug-in cooler is the way to go.

I used to work in a cupcake bakery, and we did a few events. I was surprised how well frosting shots sold...just condiment containers filled with homemade frosting. And frosting-stuffed cookie sandwiches were a big hit. Both keep longer than cupcakes if you want something to supplement your stock.

Good luck to you! It can be quite an adventure, stressful at times, but try to keep your joy about it instead of overwhelming yourself.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Your reply was overwhelmingly helpful!!!! :) I'll look into table set ups! I have no idea really how to... do that'll be something to read up on! I do have a Facebook page. It's confetti and Sprinkles Baking co. I do have business cards as well. I'll defenitly give the frostings a go! I'm not exactly sure how the turn outs are for the farmers markets... I want to say this is maybe the second year the city has had it? I think a regular cooler is my best bet for right now. I don't believe plug ins will be an option! I'll also be looking for wedding and craft shows to be in for late 2017-2018 so I'm hoping the farmers market will get me comfortable and more in routine of setting up/down. If there is any more tips tricks or info you have I'll defenitly take it!! Thank you again so much!!

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'll be starting to sell cupcakes at my local farmers market starting in June, thru September near Cleveland Ohio. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or help with selling at farmers markets and keeping the cupcakes cool enough so the buttercream doesn't slip off or melt. And if anyone has had any luck or thinks it's worth the time? It's one day a week from 4-8 pm. Any recommended portable show cases ect? Also any info for new businesses is great as I am just starting mine had my my first large order today and am exhausted after baking almost 200 cupcakes :( it was kinda overwhelming since I'm use to just baking for fun. Don't get me wrong this is what I want but wooo weee its nerve racking starting up!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Depends on the weather of course! We have been doing markets for about a year now, and cupcakes can be quite ok in an Acrylic cabinet as long as it's out of direct sunlight. Days above 25 degrees celsius can start to be challenging! Sometimes we put icepacks in the acrylic display covered in cloth to keep the area cool.
We also bring a small display fridge to keep items that have cream in it below 4c.
[links removed by admin - not cool to do this in your first post]

Good Luck, and hope all goes well! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question