Applesauce vs Mashed Banana as Fat Substitutes

Reaction score
Though I usually see applesauce used as a fat substitute for baked goods, I've also seen mashed banana suggested, including recipes that say to use either. See, e.g., this recipe.

Is there any advantage to one or the other? Other than the different taste, how do they effect texture/moistness?

Reaction score
That's a good question... I've used apple sauce in recipes and I've used banana in recipes, but I've never tried them interchangeably so I don't know how it would affect the overall result. Have you thought about splitting the batch and adding apple sauce to one half and banana to the other?

Reaction score
Well, for the particular recipe I linked above I'm not sure how I'd bake it, since the full recipe only fills an 8x8 baking dish so I don't know how I'd bake them separately. Half in each side and a parchment divider? Of course, then I'd have to label which side is which before baking....

Reaction score
Depending on what you like, how you like it, and what taste you have.......will depend on what you use.

Unsweet applesauce will give it more moisture.
Bananas will give it firmness, sweetness, and more moisture.
Avocado will give it firmness, but not sweetness, and it will taste kind of "creamy". May also depend on how much chocolate you use, but since there is oats in it, I don't think it will be a problem.
Squash will give it more moisture, but also take some of the sweetness out. You might also get a back flavor of cooked squash. (this is pureed squash, seeded)
Tofu will add firmness and moisture. I wouldn't puree the tofu, but I would blend it as much as possible...you don't want it turning to milky water.

If you want flavor, moisture, and firmness, use some peanut butter.

Reaction score
Thanks. The baked goods will be for someone with gall bladder issues, so they have to avoid all fats, meaning no avocado or peanut butter. I'm looking for something relatively neutral on its own,while trying, to the extent possible, regain what's lost by omitting the fat.

Reaction score
Thanks. The baked goods will be for someone with gall bladder issues, so they have to avoid all fats, meaning no avocado or peanut butter. I'm looking for something relatively neutral on its own,while trying, to the extent possible, regain what's lost by omitting the fat.

If thats the case, then you can also use mashed beans. Supposedly fresh black beans that have been mashed or pureed have no flavor. You can puree them into a paste and use that.

If not, then I would suggest looking into some soy products like the tofu. There are all sorts of tofu products out there for baking.

I would think that a bean product of some type would be the most neutral thing to use. I really can't think of anything else.

I have heard of some people using dried potato flakes as a substitute.

If none of this helps you out, you might try asking a dietitian/chef........they may have some alternatives I've never heard of before.

Ask a Question