Favorite Christmas Recipe?

Reaction score
Do you have one particular recipe that reminds you of Christmas? There are several items I make yearly, but there are two in particular that really make it feel like Christmas, and they are penuche fudge and pizzelle. I had to test my printer yesterday, so I printed out my penuche fudge recipe, and my pizzelle recipes are downstairs already. I need to pull out the pizzelle iron and figure out when I'm going to make them. I had hoped to be much further along in my holiday preparations by now, but of course, as usual, I'm way behind.

Here's a penuche fudge recipe, in case anyone wants to try making it:

INGREDIENTS
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
  • 5 ounces (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 ounces toasted walnuts, chopped (1 cup)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Coat a 5-by-10-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line with plastic wrap leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides.

2. Bring evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture registers 236 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 25 minutes.

3. Transfer to a mixer bowl, and beat in confectioners' sugar on low speed. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium, and beat until mixture is thickened and smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add vanilla and walnuts.

4. Spread mixture in pan, smoothing top. Refrigerate, uncovered, until firm, about 25 minutes. Unmold fudge using plastic overhang, and discard plastic. Cut into 18 pieces.
It's from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/345367/penuche-fudge

And, I've used many pizzelle recipes over the years, and never found a bad one. Here's one I've used in the past with good results: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/pizzelle/

Reaction score
Home made fudge.

My granny and Aunt used to only make that for C'mas.

My granny would make plain fudge and then fudge with nuts in it.
My Aunt would make Rocky Road fudge.

Reaction score
For me it is a complete Christmas dinner. We have home made bread and cheese pie. Sour cabbage salad and ajvar. Usually there is some meat but since I am a vegetarian we add some fish because sometimes I eat it. We also have cabbage rolls and vine leaf rolls. Several kinds of cheese and of course a cake and small cookies. A lot more naturally but these are just on top of my mind. Usually we drink wine or rakija. Sometimes beer.

Ask a Question