Favorite pie recipes! Share please!

Reaction score
So, it might be known that I am indeed a big pie lover! I love pies and they have been my favorite thing to bake ever since I discovered my love for baking. My first pie was a cheese one, then after a while I moved into lemon pies :) To this day those are still my top favorite pies. I'd share the recipe with you, but I think everyone here knows how to make a simple cheese/lemon pie ;)

By the way, I like my cheese pie unbaked, but the baked version is also good and the first one I ever tried making.

Pecan pie is something I tried recently as well, 4 years ago or so and totally loved it :) The crust melted in our mouths!! It was amazing!

Do you have any good pie recipe you'd like to share? I'm always looking for new recipes to try and possibly add to my black recie book ;)

Reaction score
I have a favorite pie recipe but it's savory. I use a basic pie crust (flour, water, butter) and layer inside potato slices, bacon, cheese, repeat. Then I pour a nice creamy white sauce I make (with a BIT of thyme or rosemary...if I'm feeling adventurous I do both). Cover it with another pie crust and bake. My partner in the beginning thought it was a bad idea and as kind of let down when he came home and saw that THAT was dinner. LOLOL He had thirds. LOLOL

And I knowit's not exactly "pie" but shepherd's pie. Soooooooo goooooood.

Reaction score
Lovely, Connie! Thanks a lot! I will surely try those two! I had already checked the chestnut one, do you think I could switch the chestnut for hazelnuts? Would still be the same or the flavour could change considerably? The idea of mixing chestnut and dark chocolate sounds amazing, by the way! CAN'T WAIT!

@connie Yes, please share! I'[m in dire need of savoury pie recipes as well. Do you know any good meat pie recipe?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a favorite pie recipe but it's savory. I use a basic pie crust (flour, water, butter) and layer inside potato slices, bacon, cheese, repeat. Then I pour a nice creamy white sauce I make (with a BIT of thyme or rosemary...if I'm feeling adventurous I do both). Cover it with another pie crust and bake. My partner in the beginning thought it was a bad idea and as kind of let down when he came home and saw that THAT was dinner. LOLOL He had thirds. LOLOL

And I knowit's not exactly "pie" but shepherd's pie. Soooooooo goooooood.

Thanks for sharing! So it's called sheperd's pie? My soon-to-be husband loves bacon :) That creamy white sauce, is it like bechamel or something like that? To be honest I don't know a lot savoury pie recipes, but I'd love to gather more, I think those make great dinners!

Reaction score
@connie Yes, please share! I'[m in dire need of savoury pie recipes as well. Do you know any good meat pie recipe?
I'll post up the potato pie at some point next week, or perhaps tomorrow if I get time, but as for meat, sorry, I am almost completely vegan and have not touched meat for +30 years, so would not know where to start.

Reaction score
Ah ok, I kinda suspected you were vegan, but thought that maybe you knew some good meat pie recipe ;) I heard they make the best ones in the UK :)

Reaction score
Ah ok, I kinda suspected you were vegan, but thought that maybe you knew some good meat pie recipe ;) I heard they make the best ones in the UK :)
I can always see what is written in my Grannie's cookbooks. To have made it into the list, they had to have been reasonable. Though that will have to wait until Monday at the earliest.

Reaction score
Thanks! That would be really interesting! To be honest I have only eaten a meat pie twice in my life, that was last year and it wasn't good at all. It had ground beef and leek! LOL. I'm sure brits don't do it like that! It was bad, believe me.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! So it's called sheperd's pie? My soon-to-be husband loves bacon :) That creamy white sauce, is it like bechamel or something like that? To be honest I don't know a lot savoury pie recipes, but I'd love to gather more, I think those make great dinners!
Yes it's like a bechamel. And Im sorry, I dont really have a name for it. But I like using that pie AND one I call shepherd's pie. The Shepherd's pie one is a nice thin layer of biscuit dough on the bottom of one of those rectangular glass cae pans, then a layer of ground meat, topped with cheese, then another layer of biscuit dough but a little thicker this time. Then into the oven. I prefer it like that buy my partner isnt too fond of biscuit so most of the time I leave the bootm layer out and just use meat, cheese, and the top layer of biscuit.:)

Reaction score
Yes it's like a bechamel. And Im sorry, I dont really have a name for it. But I like using that pie AND one I call shepherd's pie. The Shepherd's pie one is a nice thin layer of biscuit dough on the bottom of one of those rectangular glass cae pans, then a layer of ground meat, topped with cheese, then another layer of biscuit dough but a little thicker this time. Then into the oven. I prefer it like that buy my partner isnt too fond of biscuit so most of the time I leave the bootm layer out and just use meat, cheese, and the top layer of biscuit.:)
Shepherds pie is a very specific dish in the UK and possibly other countries as well which could be where some confusion is coming in. you would never have a wide said of any kind in a shepherd's pie which can also be known as a cottage pie.

Http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie

Shepherdspie2.JPG

Reaction score
Having grown up in Australia, savory meat pies are such a part of the culture there -- and they were a firm favorite of mine when I was a child. There's a good recipe online here:

http://australian.food.com/recipe/australian-meat-pie-21726

I make it relatively regularly as now where I live it's not common at all to have pies like this!

As for sweet pies - my mother in law makes an amazing pumpkin pie but I don't have the recipe handy! It's a family favorite though!

Reaction score
Thanks a lot cucakechef! This one looks easy enough! I might really give it a try next year, because I will really need different dinner ideas :) By the way, I had no idea australians were into savoury pies! Interesting!

Reaction score

Oh I see, mind sharing that suace recipe with us? I might actually give that first pie you mentioned a try! I will be making dinner every single day next year, so I need a lot new ideas :p

Reaction score
I think my favorite is the one on the can of Libby's pumpkin pie filling. Yes, that's kind of cheating, not even making it truly from scratch, but it's very easy recipe to follow and I don't have to buy many ingredients. It has always tasted amazing every time I've made it.

Reaction score
To be honest I don't care about cheating in the kitchen ;) As long as everything turns out ok I'm fine with it! I must confess I have never tried a pumpkin pie beforfe :) I might give it a try soon, hopefully next year... I'll be baking and cooking a lot then.

Reaction score
Oh I see, mind sharing that suace recipe with us? I might actually give that first pie you mentioned a try! I will be making dinner every single day next year, so I need a lot new ideas :p
I don't have exact measurements because I usually do it by sight but here goes:

I chop uo some onion and garlic and place it in a small pot with butter. I let the butter melt and let it cook for a minute or so. Then I add corn starch (or flour if I don't have any corn starch on hand), until it thickens up (roux). I then add milk (preferable cream but it's hard to find around here), salt, and thyme and/or rosemary. Only a bit though because the thyme is very strong. I also may add a bit of pepper. Then I cook it until it thickens up. Adjusting as necessary. :) I may add shredded parm if I have any on hand.

Reaction score
I don't have exact measurements because I usually do it by sight but here goes:

I chop uo some onion and garlic and place it in a small pot with butter. I let the butter melt and let it cook for a minute or so. Then I add corn starch (or flour if I don't have any corn starch on hand), until it thickens up (roux). I then add milk (preferable cream but it's hard to find around here), salt, and thyme and/or rosemary. Only a bit though because the thyme is very strong. I also may add a bit of pepper. Then I cook it until it thickens up. Adjusting as necessary. :) I may add shredded parm if I have any on hand.

Thank you so very much!!!!!!! I will definitely use this, I have already saved the recipe :) This will come soooooo handy! I swear! Thanks a lot again, you totally rock!

Reaction score
Oh it will be the first thing I make once I make it to the new house :D Potatoes and bacon + tasty white sauce = winning combination.

Ask a Question