Favorite recipe to make with children

Reaction score
I am looking for some new recipes to make with my daughter. She loves to help me bake. Right now her favorite recipes that we bake together are chocolate chip cookies and this great shortbread cookie recipe that we make.

What are some other great recipes that I could try with her?

Reaction score
I don't have any children but remember from my childhood that cocopop marshmallow cakes were always a winner! I also remember making a basic cake mix and taking it outside where we had old tin cans with holes cut in and a candle in the middle. We'd then fry the cake mix on top of the tin can. Lots of fun, especially once it starts getting dark :)

Reaction score
I have fond memories of my father making sourdough bread and tea cookies with my mother. Both are pretty easy to make and might be a good to share with the little one. :)

Reaction score
We love these "nests" where you stir coconut in melted chocolate, mold them on waxed paper like little bird nests, and then put jellybeans in them. Great for Easter, but they are yummy all the time. I guess you could make them into wreaths, too.

Reaction score
Monkey bread is a good one; kids love to pull it apart. Rice krispies treats are another favorite.

Reaction score
Cookie ice cream sandwiches!

My former classmate and her kids are coming to visit this weekend and we're going to make these.

1. Bake one batch of chocolate chip cookies, or sugar cookies, or peanutbutter cookies, or snickerdoodles. Let the cookies cool thoroughly.

2. Place 1 - 2 scoops of softened ice cream or frozen yogurt between 2 cookies.

3. Squish them together a bit to push the ice cream to the edges.

4. Roll the edges in sprinkles, chocolate chips, or nuts.

5. Eat immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag to eat later.

They keep up to two weeks in the freezer ( or maybe longer, but I have no eye-witness proof of that...)

Reaction score
I think cupcakes are good because it's always fun for them to put their own topping on, using sprinklers, chocolate chips and all sorts of different toppings. I think it's a good idea because they are simple to bake but also can be really fun for the kids too.

Reaction score
I love to bake cupcakes with the kids i alway's bakes them and they got to do the decoration,that keeps them bizzy for hours. We also love to make the marshmallow & ricecrispies cookies,just 1 problem with them they never last for long:p

Reaction score
My sons love to make pie crust with me. One of my sons call it crie pust though. Backwards but sooo cute the way he says it. They enjoy playing with the dough. It's a fun activity. They also enjoy cookie cutting on christmas. It's a family tradition.

Reaction score
Cookies are always fun to make with kids, so that tends to be my default thing whenever I'm baking with a child. Rice krispy treats are also a classic.

I actually discovered a roll twist recipe a year or so back that looks like it would fun to make with kids. You can find it here. At the very least they can mix things and twist the dough into shape!

Reaction score
Depending on the age of children involved, there is one old classic that never fails to make the kiddies happy no matter what the age. Rice crispy treats. They are easy- peasy with little clean up and a hit with kids and adults alike.

Reaction score
Depending on the age of children involved, there is one old classic that never fails to make the kiddies happy no matter what the age. Rice crispy treats. They are easy- peasy with little clean up and a hit with kids and adults alike.

Agreed, Rice Krispies treats are easy to make and even my teenager enjoys making them. They taste good with very few ingredients and no actual baking so they're great to make with kids.

Reaction score
I am looking for some new recipes to make with my daughter. She loves to help me bake. Right now her favorite recipes that we bake together are chocolate chip cookies and this great shortbread cookie recipe that we make.

What are some other great recipes that I could try with her?
This one is a favorite that my daughter and I always enjoyed making together. Although it isn't quite baking it is a yummy treat kids can make. All you need are ritz crackers, peanut butter, white and dark chocolate. Melt the chocolates in individual pots. Spread peanut butter on cracker, top with another cracker. Dip and fully coat in either white or dark chocolate and set on wax paper to cool and form. Quite a delicious treat for the whole family.

Reaction score
Last year, my sister and I made some ladybug cupcakes with my niece, and that was really fun. It was easy and it was a blast for us and the kid, of course! They came out really awesome, and she was so proud that she helped make them. We made the cupcake batter from scratch, and then used some techniques for the frosting that we found online. They came out really cute, I wish I had pictures!

Reaction score
Butter cookies. These take time, but could be a fun activity to sprinkle in throughout the day. First mixing the dough, then after it hardens in the fridge roll out the dough and make cutouts. Then after they've baked and cooled frost them.

Reaction score
My step kids like to make cupcakes. We make different flavours and they love to decorate them so I am always investing in sparkly decorations and pretty cup cake cases.

Reaction score
I really have more memories of learning to grill stuff with my father and with my sons. My older son now is a chef who specializes in barbecue and other grill goods. I did learn some basic cooking techniques from my mother and grandmother (Blackberry cobbler)

Reaction score
I have a no-bake Banana Pudding recipe that I make with my niece. We only make it during the holiday season. I thought that she was getting too old for it, but she always looks forward to making.

Reaction score
Not really baking, but home made chocolate truffles and other candies are fun. A chocolate ganache is easy to make on a double boiler, and it can be a lot of fun dipping the rolled up balls of ganache back into some more melted chocolates and decorating them with various toppings. You could also make "buckeye's" while you're at it.

Or what about some savory stuff, like Pizza's or Stromboli's? Even if you don't feel like mixing the dough from scratch, you can buy bags of it from your local pizza joint or Italian grocer very cheap, usually like 99 cents a bag, and stretch it out yourself and add your own toppings. You could do a pizza night with a few different varieties, and let her come up with her own combinations. Maybe make a contest out of it to see who wins.

Ask a Question