Favourite Ethnic Breads

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for homemade bread. It's my weakness! I especially love trying various ethnic breads. My two favourites so far are Na'an (India) and Focaccia (Italy).

Here are some other examples:
- Baguette (France)
- Ciabatta (Italy)
-Hard Dough (Jamaica)
- Pita (Greece)
-Soda bread (actually a quick bread, no yeast - from Ireland)
-Challah (Jewish)

What breads have you made from various cultures? Do you have a go-to recipe for an ethic bread? What are your favourites?

Reaction score
I love focaccia, I think that's my favourite type of bread. Over here in Scotland, we have tattie (potato) scones, which are a kind of bread which is made with mashed potato, shaped into squares or triangles and cooked on a griddle. You can also stick them in the toaster - they're lovely toasted with butter. They're also popular in Ireland.

Reaction score
My favorite ethnic breads would be the pita bread and the German Christmas Stollen Bread (very yummy :)) . I also love my Jamaican hard dough bread.

Reaction score
I've had Irish potato scones a lone time ago - they were good!

Stollen is definitely very good, especially when its homemade with an authentic recipe. Which reminds me of a Czech Easter bread I made once. That was really good!

I made hard dough bread once too, it was good! I don't know how authentic it turned out, but it tasted yummy :)

Reaction score
My family comes from Malaysia, where there is a multicultural society, namely the ethnic Malay, the Chinese, the Indians and some indigenous tribes. Some ethnic breads that I have enjoyed during my visits there would be the Indian/Pakistani naan, paratha and chapati sop up carious curries. Some favourite chinese breads would include the little steamed buns. My favourite one, the char siew bao, is a steamed white bun and is filled with sweet barbequed pork. Just thinking of it makes me salivate. Yum!

Reaction score
I would have to agree with you on the Naan. For the longest time I only had Naan with Indian dishes, but now I use Naan in place of Tortillas for Mexican dishes too. I think it's gaining a lot of popularity, because I can find it in almost every grocery now .I need to learn how to bake/grill this at home for a limitless supply:). My second favorite ethnic bread is the Croissant, which may technically be a French pastry. All I know is that they are flaky, buttery, and delicious and they make any sandwich 10x tastier.Is it lunchtime yet?

Reaction score
Hard dough and pita bread are my favourite breads and I would love to make those breads but I need to build up the courage to do it.

Reaction score
A neighbor turned me on to challah a few years ago and I've been happily eating it slathered in butter every Easter. I'm not the biggest fan of Irish soda bread when it's dry, but last year I had some awesome soda bread at a local Irish restaurant (which has unfortunately, since closed). I wish I had gotten their recipe. They were more like rolls, a bit sweet and very moist.

Reaction score
I have a favorite I have not made. It is pannetone and I usually buy it already made. I would bet someone here would have a good recipe for a beginner. I also had an oatmeal bread that was made from scratch and I should have gotten the recipe. It was so hearty and made the best toast...so if you know that one, please share it too!

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for homemade bread. It's my weakness! I especially love trying various ethnic breads. My two favourites so far are Na'an (India) and Focaccia (Italy).

Here are some other examples:
- Baguette (France)
- Ciabatta (Italy)
-Hard Dough (Jamaica)
- Pita (Greece)
-Soda bread (actually a quick bread, no yeast - from Ireland)
-Challah (Jewish)

What breads have you made from various cultures? Do you have a go-to recipe for an ethic bread? What are your favourites?

I love to make roti bread. This is flat bread that is made in the Caribbean island, and in India. Indian roti bread is made differently than in the islands. In Trinidad they mainly use spilt peas in the roti bread. This bread is fairly easy to make at home as well.

Reaction score
Pita is my favourite! I never tried it in my homeland so after finding it in English shops I ate it all the time.
It's amazing how many things you can do with pita, it always tastes good.

Reaction score
I know they're relatively simple but I love ciabatta and na'an. I'm a big fan of ethnic foods in general and breads are no different matter :).

Reaction score
I am a fan of Naan bread. I love eating this bread with soup or using to make pizza or sandwiched. I have never tried to make it but if I could find a good recipe I might.

Reaction score
Wow, I haven't thought of this thread in a minute ;), I've tried a few more breads in the past year and I have to say, I'm surprised how much I love Irish Soda bread! Yum :)

Reaction score
I love my bread and carbs! My favorites are croissants, focaccia, soda bread, fougasse (a french bread with some herbs and sometimes garlic baked into it). I'm happy eating bread with some butter or dipped in some chilli oil or balsamic vinegar.

Ask a Question