Finally gluten free bread

Reaction score
Still needs some tweaking but overall this gluten-free loaf turned out pretty well. It’s soft; great rise; not crumbly, edible without toasting. But like most gluten-free bread it’s bland. To develop flavor, I’m going to add some sorghum flour, and use a poolish.

9” x 5” Pullman pan. Great rise
69942149-63CD-4C70-8FEE-51A4351B4465.jpeg

D9F510E6-691B-4725-8037-829D54C5743A.jpeg

Did not collapse or shrink after cooling. Yay!
F3B64C2C-E50E-47C3-8540-1DE9158DDD97.jpeg

Not crumbly in the least. Used 3 whole eggs, 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, 1 tablespoon Expandex, 1 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan gum for the binders and gluten replacers. But still bland. So works not done yet on this recipe.
2DB1F937-3B11-42EE-98BF-A22195088A59.jpeg

Reaction score
Wow, I would not have thought that was gluten free bread! It looks great, you've got a fantastic texture going on there. In terms of helping the flavour, I wonder whether using (gluten free) beer instead of water would help... the reason this popped into my mind is that I had some non-alcoholic beer at the weekend and Ian commented that it tasted like bread, so I'm wondering if you could use that to your advantage. I make a Finnish rye bread with beer, it's very tasty.

Reaction score
Wow, I would not have thought that was gluten free bread! It looks great, you've got a fantastic texture going on there. In terms of helping the flavour, I wonder whether using (gluten free) beer instead of water would help... the reason this popped into my mind is that I had some non-alcoholic beer at the weekend and Ian commented that it tasted like bread, so I'm wondering if you could use that to your advantage. I make a Finnish rye bread with beer, it's very tasty.

That was my 6th attempt. All the others were like lead weights. I’m trying to reduce or eliminate the xanthan gum all together. This loaf only had 1 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum, yet I got great rise.

That gluten free beer suggestion is actually a great one. I’m going to pick up a bottle when I go into town. The certified gluten-free beers are made from sorghum so it would be the perfect liquid since I’m going to add sorghum to the flour blend.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Still needs some tweaking but overall this gluten-free loaf turned out pretty well. It’s soft; great rise; not crumbly, edible without toasting. But like most gluten-free bread it’s bland. To develop flavor, I’m going to add some sorghum flour, and use a poolish.

9” x 5” Pullman pan. Great rise
View attachment 1470

View attachment 1468

Did not collapse or shrink after cooling. Yay!
View attachment 1471

Not crumbly in the least. Used 3 whole eggs, 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, 1 tablespoon Expandex, 1 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan gum for the binders and gluten replacers. But still bland. So works not done yet on this recipe.
View attachment 1469

hi, norcalbaker, what a very pretty bouncy white bread. seeing your bread, i am as glad as you expressing the result.
i'm curious :
1/ are psyllium husk different with xantham gum? at the first for their role in GF bread making
2/ could i replace xanthan gum with konjac/glucommanan starch?
3/ what is the particular taste/sensory impression of sorghum flour as you mention above?

thank you so much for sharing! :)

Ask a Question