Finnish sweet bread rolls - Dallaspulla

Reaction score
I made these yummy sweet bread rolls today! Pulla is a traditional bread made in Finland made using an enriched sweetened dough which is often flavoured with cardamom. It takes many forms, and the type I made were similar to cinnamon buns but with a sweet vanilla filling instead on cinnamon.

Here's the recipe I used: https://thejoyfulsoul.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/dallaspulla/

I added 2 tsp of crushed cardamom to the dough.

Here's how it went...

Crushing the cardamom:
Dallaspulla 1.jpg

The dough after it had risen:
Dallaspulla 2.jpg

Spreading the filling on the dough (it was quite grainy):
Dallaspulla 3.jpg

The rolls before they went into the oven. I sprinkled a little demerera sugar on they for some crunch:
Dallaspulla 4.jpg

Fresh out of the oven:
Dallaspulla 5.jpg

They were very difficult to remove from the greaseproof paper, but here they are afterwards:
Dallaspulla 6.jpg

OM NOM NOM!
Dallaspulla 7.jpg

:)

I really loved the cardamom flavour of the dough, it was delicious. I wasn't too impressed with the filling though, there was a little too much butter I think and it had a weird texture. It had a nice flavour, but I might try something different next time.

Reaction score
I had something like that once. It had a thin, sticky and hard glaze baked on the top of it.
It was good, but I was afraid to eat too much or I might pull out some fillings.

Reaction score
They look delicious. What do you think you'd use in the center next time @Becky? I wouldn't even know what flavors to pair with the cardomom, other than those I use together with it in chai tea. I'm sure once you tweak the centers to your satisfaction, they'll be yummy.

Reaction score
Very nice work, Becky. But if you don't mind me asking... where did you got that fantastic pestle an mortar? I want to get one of my own, mostly to make salsas, but not sure where to get a high quality one. I don't want to get something made out of something else that is not made with black stone.

Reaction score
What do you think you'd use in the center next time Becky?

Orange works really well with cardamom, so something involving that would be nice. Maybe a filling made with white chocolate and orange zest... I'll have to have a think!

But if you don't mind me asking... where did you got that fantastic pestle an mortar?

I've had it for about 10 years, and I think I got it from Amazon. It's made from natural granite, and it is rough on the inside of the bowl so it grinds things quite efficiently. It's really heavy though! I use it fairly often, and I can imagine I'll have it for as long as I have a kitchen!

Ask a Question