First Baking Experience?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can remember the first time you baked with your parents as a child? I can't seem to remember that far back lol but can anyone else? Was it cookies? Cake? A main course meal?

Reaction score
I never baked during my childhood. I didn't have a good relationship with my mother. I think my first baking experience was just brownies from a mix when I was pregnant with my daughter 16 years ago.

Reaction score
I never baked with my mother but I did with my grandmother. My mother was always too worried about the mess. I have very clear memories. I also remember baking cakes at nursery school. Children love to bake and never forget it!

Reaction score
About all I remember is making chocolate chip cookies with my Mom. I don't think she baked much...too many kids to feed (busy making meals not treats) and she's never really enjoyed baking (I must have gotten the love of it from my grandmothers, through my genes, and it skipped a generation!) What I remember is enjoying making cookies until the flour was added...and then it was SO hard to stir the batter! I think I'd often hand it over to Mom for a bit at that point, but of course I wanted it back when it was time to add the chocolate chips!

Reaction score
I have fond memories of my father baking sourdough bread. He'd sometimes dab a bit on my nose when I got to close to the bowl. My mother also taught us to bake various items (simple cakes, cookies, etc.) when us kids were a little older. :)

Reaction score
I vividly remember trying to make up a cookie recipe when I was a young child which I wanted to bake with my grandma. All I remember is it involved grapes and plain chocolate, but the chocolate was the "secret ingredient", so I'd covered it up with a paper flap marked with a question mark on the recipe sheet. Child-me had a very hard time trying to explain to Grandma, as ditzy as ever, that the paper wasn't the secret ingredient, but rather the chocolate I'd listed underneath it. :rolleyes:

I also have a very cute picture of me at about age 3 sitting on the kitchen counter holding a big tray of freshly made scones.

Reaction score
My Grandma bakes everyday, she is very old fashioned and set in her ways (she still makes her own mayonnaise in a blender, and has chickens that lay eggs for her every day). When I was young, probably three or four, she let me help her make a pie. My job was to roll the dough out with a rolling pin, which was super fun for a three year old. Only I quickly developed a taste for pie crust, and ate literally half of it, every second my Grandma looked away. Needless to say, she was not impressed when her crust barely covered the tin, and she had to sit in the bathroom with me for an hour.

Reaction score
I kind of just remember always doing it, I don't have any specific memories in general. Christmastime, though; we would always bake considerably more at Christmas.

Reaction score
I can remember being in the kitchen at the table when my Granny was making biscuits. I was very small. I guess around 3 or 4. She had this huge wooden bowl that she always used for biscuits. You see her pull out that bowl you knew what came next. She would give me bits of bread to mold my own biscuits into. It is a treasured memory and I so wish that it could have been caught on film. :)

Reaction score
I can remember being in the kitchen at the table when my Granny was making biscuits. I was very small. I guess around 3 or 4. She had this huge wooden bowl that she always used for biscuits. You see her pull out that bowl you knew what came next. She would give me bits of bread to mold my own biscuits into. It is a treasured memory and I so wish that it could have been caught on film. :)

By any chance did you inherit that big wooden bowl? That would be so precious! I have my Grandma's rolling pin, although it's no longer functional. I don't have memories of baking with either of my Grandma's but I do remember my Dad's Mom making sour cream sugar cookies. I have the recipe, but can't quite duplicate the texture.

Reaction score
By any chance did you inherit that big wooden bowl? That would be so precious! I have my Grandma's rolling pin, although it's no longer functional. I don't have memories of baking with either of my Grandma's but I do remember my Dad's Mom making sour cream sugar cookies. I have the recipe, but can't quite duplicate the texture.

No unfortunately I did not. I do not know what happened to it. She had that wooden bowl and a branch that Grandpa whittled down and turned into a tea stirrer for her. She used that old branch forever and I think one of my cousins broke it. It was well worn and just like a wooden spoon that you would buy today but it was just forked at the top. I miss that bowl and the tea stirrer! I did get her vinegar pourer and a nice old homemade quilt though and a few dishes. ;)

Reaction score
I know this is not the first time I baked, but my mother instilled the love of cooking and baking in all the kids in my family. The other day (I have no idea why) I thought of the "Easy Bake Oven" which I know will date me and baking some prepared mixes in it with the light bulb (yes, for those that don't remember, its true). When I saw your question just now I had to smile.

Reaction score
I remember standing next to my mother as she hand mixed her famous chocolate cake when I was around four or five. I helped her measure the ingredients in a little baking scale we had. And of course the best part will always be licking the bowl and the wooden spoon. Yum! But my first 'baking' experience came when I was about seen, when me and my then five-year -old brother mixed up a batch of pancakes which had a little too much baking soda/powder, and ended up being all poofy and tasted alkaline. Fun times.

Reaction score
I was about 7 and was “helping” my stepmother make peanut butter cookies. She left me alone in the kitchen briefly and told me to go ahead and add the PB. I remember having trouble getting the PB to leave the spoon when I was flicking it downwards, and it occurred to me that if I whipped the spoon upwards just as fast as I could, the PB would not be able to move as fast as the spoon (being goopy and not very aerodynamic) and would fall into the bowl. Something went wrong and the PB ended up stuck to the popcorn textured ceiling. Clearly the problem was that the spoon never achieved the speed required to break free, so I adjusted my stance and put everything I had into it. It did make a bigger splat than the first, but the results were still disappointing. After cleaning the ceiling for an hour, I decided that baking was to be avoided at all cost. It ended up being a pretty formative experience - I didn’t bake again until my 30’s.

Reaction score
I can't remember my first time baking with my mother, but if I were to bet on it then I would say cake. We make cakes all the time now and she never liked making muffins and cupcakes because she'd have to scoop and place the batter in the little cups. I don't recall us making cookies in the past; it's probably been about 7 years since we started baking them. I also had an Easy Bake Oven. I made everything that it came with and they tasted delicious!

Reaction score
My first baking experience was when I made sugar.cookies for the 4 H club in school. My mom helped me and my sister pick the recipe and put together the ingredients. We had lots of fun and we didn't make a big mess. I was really happy.

Reaction score
I'm sad to say that I never baked as a child....my experience only went as far as licking the spoon sometimes, despite my interest in doing more.

Reaction score
Lol. There ate a lot of times when that was all we did.as well. I know that my brother still does nothing mord than licking the spoon. He's not really a baking person. He would rather eat the results.

Reaction score
My mother wasn't around much (single mother, worked a lot to keep us afloat), but I baked with Grandma from the time I was able to hold a spoon. So no, I don't remember my first baking experience. It was probably cake or cookies and I probably ate too much of the batter to get a good batch out of the deal lol (plus batches were much smaller back in the day). Miss her xo

Reaction score
I'm lucky in that my mum use to do a lot of baking and even did a cake decorating course so she's a good go-to for tips. She use to bake a lot of buns with me as a kid and even filmed it so I have the memories backed up

Ask a Question