First Time Wedding Cake

Discussion in 'Cakes' started by Abby126, May 9, 2018.

1. Abby126

Abby126 New Member

Hi! I'm making a good friends wedding cake this summer for about 80 people. Does anyone have any recommendations for transporting a 3 tiered cake 2+ hours away in August??! I live in Maryland where it gets super humid...thanks for any advice in advance! Happy Baking!

Abby126, May 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Abby126

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Oh you have your work cutout for you.

Here’s some tips on transporting cakes.

Pack an emergency cake repair kit. Include tools for assembly and repair. Extra decorations, fondant, buttercream
    etc.

Dowel all your tiers. Even if the top tier is just 6”, run a center dowel through it. Two hrs on the road during summer vacation when everyone is heading to the shore means you may hit your brakes a few times. If the cake is jolted during the drive, the layers may slide if the tiers aren’t doweled.

Assemble the tiers on site. Do not try to transport a fully assembled multi-tier cake that far.

Place each tier in a good quality cake box. Then place the cake boxes in an insulated cardboard box. See link below on DIY insulated cake box. Just make them large enough for each tier.

Given the distance, I would chill the cake tiers overnight.

If it’s a fondant covered cake, read Erica O’Brien’s blog post on how to refrigerate a fondant covered cake. Link below. Also look up her method on repairing fondant just in case you need to do a repair. Link below.

Two hours drive is just the beginning—the cake won’t be sliced for several hours after arriving at the venue, so you want the cake to remain cool for as long as possible. Contact the venue to find out whether climate control storage is available once you deliver the cake. If not, you may need to put dry ice in the insulated boxes.

Blast the air conditioner for 10 minutes before loading the cakes into the car. If you use the trunk, put the seats down to allow the cool air to circulate to the trunk. Then check the temperature before you load the cakes.

Do not place the cakes on the car seat. Place the cake box on the floorboards or in the trunk. Trust me on this one, it’s experience talking here. Use the floorboard.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond sells non-skid mats in the rug department. You’re going to need non-skid mats in the cake boxes and under them. Just buy a big mat and cut pieces as needed.

Place a piece of non-skid mat in the cake box, then place the cake board on it. Secure the box.

Then place a piece of non-skid mat in the insulated carrier box, then place the cake box on it.

Then place non-skid mat on the floorboards/trunk before loading the boxes in. I like to tuck rolled up towels around the boxes to take up as much space around the box as possible. The non-skid pads and towels work well to keep things from moving.

Just one last thought...if it’s a naked cake, you have about 4 hrs top to slice and serve. Beyond that and the cake may get pretty dry due to air exposure.

http://ericaobrien.com/blog/yes-you...rate-your-fondant-covered-cakes/#.WvJwJhZlDYU

http://ericaobrien.com/blog/gunge-its-a-miracle/

https://avaloncakesschool.com/delivery-box/

Norcalbaker59, May 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question