Fixing large candy melt mold to buttercream?

mnx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time poster here! I'm making a 6" tall cake for my friend's daughter, which will be covered in American buttercream, or possibly white choc ganache. It's a fidget pop-it themed cake, and I've made a lareg heart-shaped pop-it using candy melts, which I was going to stand on top of the cake. However, the base of the pop-it is thinner than I thought it would be and I'm nervous about it snapping if stood on top of the cake, so I've decided to place it on the front of the cake instead; it will be almost the same height as the cake so should work pretty well at the front. My concern is that I won't be able to get it to stay upright; I'm planning to use a bit of buttercream/ganache to fix it on to the cake, and to have part of the heart touching the cake board to help bear the weight. It's a fairly heavy mold, despite being thin, because of the "popper" parts. Does anyone have any experience of adding large candy melt pieces to buttercream cakes, or any advice on how I can achieve it in the most stable way? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. I am probably a bit late in replying but so apologies.
I find that when it use any type of figures that require standing on a cake, whether I use candy melts or modelling paste i put a stick either on the back or into the topper when making, I use edible glue or some of the candy melts.
I have attached a couple of photos of different things I have attach to show what I mean.

hope this helps
. 18E98043-8E73-4EA6-A671-3508FD647BCA.jpeg5F845CF8-BE26-4B94-BB8A-E6BA4321D8D3.jpeg

jennie

mnx

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. I am probably a bit late in replying but so apologies.
I find that when it use any type of figures that require standing on a cake, whether I use candy melts or modelling paste i put a stick either on the back or into the topper when making, I use edible glue or some of the candy melts.
I have attached a couple of photos of different things I have attach to show what I mean.

hope this helps
.View attachment 4665View attachment 4666

jennie
Hi! Thank you for responding - I've only just spotted it, sorry! I would usually use a stick or support for toppers and decorations, but I couldn't see an easy way to do it with this one as it was very large but also very thin (although now you've mentioned it, maybe I could have stuck one to the back with some candy melt?) In the end, I decided to play it safe and stick the "topper" to the front of the cake instead - it was the same height as the cake, so I rested it on the cake board for extra support and used a lot (a LOT!) of buttercream behind it to secure it. I was terrified it wouldn't survive the journey to the party venue but it was absolutely fine in the end, and I think it worked much better on the front of the cake than it would've done on top anyway :)

Attachments

• 3B394007-2C00-4799-9D91-0B984B0B5B1D.jpg
    3B394007-2C00-4799-9D91-0B984B0B5B1D.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 13

Ask a Question