flakey but moist

Reaction score
Hello All,

Making holiday shortbread most likely in a pan and not a cookie. Wondering if anyone has any secrets to keep the shortbread moist. I know by nature it is flakey and a little crumbly but dry is another element altogether. I want to retain just a bit of moisture, share your ideas. Thanks

Reaction score
Best way to avoid dryness is to not overwork it. If you're having trouble bringing it together in a dough add enough iced water to bind it.

Reaction score
I know some people who prefer to use some real butter in the dough. This keeps it from being too dry and holding it together a bit better. But don't use too much, as it can make them greasy.

Reaction score
Best way to avoid dryness is to not overwork it. If you're having trouble bringing it together in a dough add enough iced water to bind it.
Thanks Becky, sounds good. Not so interested in using more and more butter. I may just add a few drops of the ice water as you suggested since I have additives besides just the shortbread itself.

Reaction score
I know some people who prefer to use some real butter in the dough. This keeps it from being too dry and holding it together a bit better. But don't use too much, as it can make them greasy.
Chester, shortbread is butter, flour and sugar and that's about it. I've never had greasy shortbread, you may be thinking of something else. Check out Becky's post which makes sense having a touch more moisture to bake out before it bakes it out of the actual shortbread itself. I'll send you some for Christmas if it turns out. Happy Holidays.

Reaction score
Chester, shortbread is butter, flour and sugar and that's about it. I've never had greasy shortbread, you may be thinking of something else. Check out Becky's post which makes sense having a touch more moisture to bake out before it bakes it out of the actual shortbread itself. I'll send you some for Christmas if it turns out. Happy Holidays.

I know what shortbread is, I meant they add more butter than it is supposed to have in it.
But if you add too much, it will turn out like a greasy cookie. The ingredients in the real butter keep it "moist". Adding TOO much will just make it more butter than flour.

Grease, oil, lard, or whatever.........that is the ingredient that gives any cake, cookie, or bread "moistness". The water bakes out, the oils are left behind. The oils is what keeps it from drying out.
The more oils, the more "moist". But there is a point where there is too much oil.

Reaction score
I know what shortbread is, I meant they add more butter than it is supposed to have in it.
But if you add too much, it will turn out like a greasy cookie. The ingredients in the real butter keep it "moist". Adding TOO much will just make it more butter than flour.

Grease, oil, lard, or whatever.........that is the ingredient that gives any cake, cookie, or bread "moistness". The water bakes out, the oils are left behind. The oils is what keeps it from drying out.
The more oils, the more "moist". But there is a point where there is too much oil.

One of the recipes called for two cups, a pound, I mean yuk. However I think Becky has a point and as you say, the water bakes out which may be exactly what I need. If I have a little water to bake out leaving the rest of the ingredients to exist synergistically It may be an answer or part of it. Then again a little water and a dollop or two of extra shortening just enough to keep it melt in the mouth and not like Santa left it behind on the cookie plate, ya know. I'll do a dab of both, I love shortbread and once you get magic you can produce it over and over. Thanks Chester. A guy who bakes you must be quite popular.

Reaction score
Becky, the water worked out well. I needed something because I had three cups of extras, nuts, fruit, you know. I used the mixer just to get it all incorporated and then kneaded it lightly to put in all the goodies. Not tough, really good texture. I also used white rice flour instead of cornstarch and half granulated and half powdered since powdered already has cornstarch in it. I'm an experimenter, I get an idea and then look it up. If I find it I follow the lead from folks who have done it and succeeded. If not I try it anyway. Knowing that dairy and water are two totally different things what do you think evaporated milk would be like instead of the water. Wondering??

Reaction score
Knowing that dairy and water are two totally different things what do you think evaporated milk would be like instead of the water. Wondering??

Hmmm that's a good question. You would have to reduce the other sugar you put in because evaporated milk is so sweet, but it might work. I imagine you'd get more of a chewy cookie than shortbread though!

Reaction score
I'll try it, if I know what I put in it, I'll eat it. I was hoping for a more melt in your mouth type cookie then a chewy but making it will tell. Condensed milk is the sweet stuff, evaporated has no sugar at all and fat free makes it even better, kind if like using heavy creak without all the bad stuff. I got a fudge recipe from two gals who have a blog using evaporated milk and no additional sugar other then the melted chocolate, chips or chunks whatever you choose and a dollop of coconut oil, It couldn't be better and so superior to adding all that butter and some call for up to four cups of sugar, no thanks.

Ask a Question