Flapjacks possible without golden syrup?

Reaction score
Do you think it's possible to bake a Flapjack without Golden Syrup?

I'm only querying 'cause I haven't got any in the cupboard currently, yet I have oats, sugar, the other basic ingredients. Or would it completely mess with the taste and i'd end up with a plain lumpy mess?

Reaction score
I've made them with honey before because I didn't have any golden syrup, but I don't know if you have that. They turned out alright, and tasted fine, but definitely had a distinct honey-ish taste that I don't know if you'd rather avoid.

Reaction score
I've made them with honey before because I didn't have any golden syrup, but I don't know if you have that. They turned out alright, and tasted fine, but definitely had a distinct honey-ish taste that I don't know if you'd rather avoid.

I don't currently have that in, but i'm more likely to have honey than Golden Syrup. I'll give that a try somewhen, thanks!

Reaction score
I've actually just looked up to see if you can substitute it with apricot jam, and apparently you can. Just use less sugar in the mix as well. I've just tried it, so i'll let you know how it tastes.

Reaction score
I'm sure i've edited a message on this board before, but I suddenly can't seem to do it, sorry!

But I tried the jam, and it tasted really nice. Apricot Jam makes it really fruity, but also works really nicely. Nom! You can add it to taste though as well.

The recipe is down this page... http://duramecho.com/Food/Flapjack/

Reaction score
That's really interesting to know about the jam, I've never heard of that before! I don't like apricots but I might try it with some other type of jam sometime. I supposed it would work with marmalade as well!

Reaction score
Let me know if it works! I'd never heard of it either, but I looked it up 'cause I knew it was the only "sticky" substance I had in at the time.

Ask a Question