Flavors that shouldn't go together, but surprisingly work

Reaction score
I was reading an article online about flavors that are kind of surprising when you think about them being paired together, but they're surprisingly delicious.

Some of the combinations on the list included chocolate and beetroot, strawberries and cheese, bacon and maple syrup, chocolate and chili, and ice cream and olive oil among others!

Have you tried any of those? Or have you made any sort of baked goods that had a mix that you wouldn't think would taste good, but surprised you?

Reaction score
I once had sauerkraut ice cream at an Oktoberfest party and it was really good. Not something you would expect at all.

I have heard about bacon maple bar doughnuts, and that too surprised me but I can see why it would be liked by those who like bacon.

Reaction score
I once had sauerkraut ice cream at an Oktoberfest party and it was really good. Not something you would expect at all.

I have heard about bacon maple bar doughnuts, and that too surprised me but I can see why it would be liked by those who like bacon.

Oh wow - sauerkraut ice cream definitely fits the bill of foods that I wouldn't have thought would be tasty at all when paired together...but now if I ever see it at a party or festival or something you KNOW I'm gonna have to try it!

Reaction score

That sounds like something I'd love to try! I have heard the Japanese people have some really odd kit kat flavors, so I guess the Germans couldn't be left behind ;) I plan to see what an Oktoberfest party is all about one of these days =D I hope I can find some sauerkraut ice cream, I actually like to have sauerkraut as a side dish with some nice potatoes and chicken :D

Reaction score
I was reading an article online about flavors that are kind of surprising when you think about them being paired together, but they're surprisingly delicious.

Some of the combinations on the list included chocolate and beetroot, strawberries and cheese, bacon and maple syrup, chocolate and chili, and ice cream and olive oil among others!

Have you tried any of those? Or have you made any sort of baked goods that had a mix that you wouldn't think would taste good, but surprised you?
Haha, my first thought was chili and chocolate when I saw the title and it turned out to be on the list. I think french fries and vanilla ice cream should also be added. When I was in school my mom would sometimes take me out for fries and ice cream so the combination brings back many memories.

Reaction score
Haha, my first thought was chili and chocolate when I saw the title and it turned out to be on the list. I think french fries and vanilla ice cream should also be added. When I was in school my mom would sometimes take me out for fries and ice cream so the combination brings back many memories.

Oh yes, I used to love dipping french fries into an ice cream sundae when I was younger! Especially if it had hot fudge sauce on it too - for some reason it just tasted delicious! I guess the sweet/salty combination has always been something I liked!

Reaction score
This is my specialty, it's my very favorite thing to do, finding surprisingly amazing combinations.
Bacon and maple, strawberries and cheese, and chocolate and chili aren't really surprising though, in my book, they all lend themselves to pairing very well.

Reaction score
Bacon and maple syrup!! When I make bacon and eggs or bacon and pancakes I always dip my bacon in the
maple syrup! Not sure what it is - maybe the saltiness of the bacon with the sweetness of the maple
syrup! Yum, yum! It's funny because my daughter, like me, likes it, but my husband and son think it is
gross! :)

Reaction score
Yummy!!! I love bacon, I'm not supposed to eat it, but I do, lol. I have tried eating pancakes with maple syrup and bacon, @mommy42 and they are amazing!!! I love having that kind of breakfast, maybe before moving out I'll have that kind of breakfast just to celebrate the move. Have you tried bacon and chocolate? As good as wine and chocolate!

Reaction score
Most people look at me like I'm crazy. As a kid, I even would have looked at myself like I was crazy. But now, my mother got me to try Peanut Butter and Bananas and Peanut Butter and Mayo sandwiches.. and I was put off, to say the least, while they were being made. But when it came time to try them, I was actually shocked at how well they went together.

On another note - fries or potatoes in Ice cream isn't weird. Half the people I know dip their fries in shakes, like it's normal. So I tried it. No wonder why. I still prefer honey packets on my fries though. Try it sometime. I never eat them the same twice unless I have to. Honey is perfect to counter the salt and it tastes delish.

Ask a Question