Flip Flop Cake

Reaction score
I just saw some images of cakes decorated to look like flip flops. They were really cute. I'm thinking about giving it a try, since it doesn't really seem too difficult. I'm thinking a giant flip flop for the cake and some of those oversized, giant sunglasses from the dollar store would be cute for a summer themed birthday party.

Reaction score
Flip Flop Cakes

Cake-de%25CC%2581cor-with-Fruit-sncks.jpg

exps44725_W_TH1437868F01_30_1b_WEB.jpg

flipflop_cake.jpg

Reaction score
Now I am MASSIVELY craving twizzlers after the picture of one of those flip flop cakes!

They all look cute! Love the sand effect too...I'm guessing it's just graham crackers that have been crushed that finely! Clever idea!

Reaction score
Those are really cute. I'm sure they'd be very popular at gatherings here in our little beach community. These days I don't do any cake decorating, but if I were throwing (or attending and bringing baked goods) a Summer or beach themed party, I might try them. What a cute idea for a lighthearted celebration!

Reaction score
Those are super cute ones, Chester. Thanks for the photos. Now, I can't decide if I want to use ribbon candy or the Twizzlers, ha ha.

I love the sand too, @cupcakechef. Too cute.

I think I'm doing this for my grandbaby's birthday. I hope Dollar Tree still has the giant sunglasses. I think I'll give those out as party favors as well.

Reaction score
I have seen in a mall a competition of bakers conducted by a big bake shop. In one event is the decoration which showcased the participant's creativity. Gee, I never knew that they make improvised icing dispenser using carton or is that plastic? I couldn't see very well because of the crowd. But anyway, from my estimate, it takes more than half an hour to decorate a regular sized cake. So what more if the decoration are flip flops? That would be great to see how they do that.

Reaction score
I have seen in a mall a competition of bakers conducted by a big bake shop. In one event is the decoration which showcased the participant's creativity. Gee, I never knew that they make improvised icing dispenser using carton or is that plastic? I couldn't see very well because of the crowd. But anyway, from my estimate, it takes more than half an hour to decorate a regular sized cake. So what more if the decoration are flip flops? That would be great to see how they do that.

Oh, I would love to go and watch such a competition, especially if they're doing some improvising. I bet they come up with all kinds of clever stuff. How fun.

I didn't get to make the flip flop cake this time around (I dislocated a rib recently, so ouch). I do plan to get one made before summer is over though. They are just too adorable.

Reaction score
@Zyni, from what I remember, I have taken some videos of that cake decorating competition in the mall. I'm just not sure if I can easily find those video clips since that was last year or even the other year. They were decorating different sizes of cakes and I don't know how the judges would evaluate. I didn't stay until the awarding because it was pretty late. I will try to find the video and pictures, at least I can post some pictures for you.

Reaction score
Well this is certainly a fun idea. I know that summer will be over soon, but this seems like an appropriate way to see it out the door. To be quite honest I am looking forward to some colder weather, because this year has been terrible when it comes to the heat. Regardless, though, thank for sharing and this is something that I can see the whole family liking...thanks.

Reaction score
@Zyni, from what I remember, I have taken some videos of that cake decorating competition in the mall. I'm just not sure if I can easily find those video clips since that was last year or even the other year. They were decorating different sizes of cakes and I don't know how the judges would evaluate. I didn't stay until the awarding because it was pretty late. I will try to find the video and pictures, at least I can post some pictures for you.

Well, that is very sweet of you. I don't want you to go to any trouble, but if you happen to come across them, I would enjoy seeing them. It sounds like something really fun to attend. I'll have to see if there are any cake decorating competitions in my area.

Reaction score
I just saw some images of cakes decorated to look like flip flops. They were really cute. I'm thinking about giving it a try, since it doesn't really seem too difficult. I'm thinking a giant flip flop for the cake and some of those oversized, giant sunglasses from the dollar store would be cute for a summer themed birthday party.
Go for it my friend.
images
I will take these in a size 7 thank you very much. Not for my birthday, for me. I won't attempt this any time soon. It would be a sure FLOP and I might have to flip.

Reaction score
Those are super cute too, @Winterybella. The sea shells make a nice touch. I like the birthday banner too. Such a colorful, fun, display. While these do have a bit of detail, I think in general these wouldn't be that hard to do.

I do cheat a little though. I tend to sketch out an image and cut it out to use the paper as a template, before actually cutting out the shape of the cake (powdered sugar for tracing instead of chalk).

Reaction score
Those are super cute too, @Winterybella. The sea shells make a nice touch. I like the birthday banner too. Such a colorful, fun, display. While these do have a bit of detail, I think in general these wouldn't be that hard to do.

I do cheat a little though. I tend to sketch out an image and cut it out to use the paper as a template, before actually cutting out the shape of the cake (powdered sugar for tracing instead of chalk).
I am rooting for you as usual. I see mine ending up in the baking disasters.

Reaction score
@Ziny, I was able to find that cake decoration contest I was saying. It was held in Mall of Asia here on March 7, 2015. Yeah, that was last year. I have some videos in the folder and I am posting this pic so you can have an idea of how the competition was conducted. I had to go to the 3rd floor to get a good shot. But I guess my videos were quite okay.

Here is the pic....
IMG_1218 moa baking contest.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, nice. Thank you, @Corzhens.

That looks like a lot of fun, both to attend and to participate in. You got a great shot here. It looks like you covered a lot of ground. Did you have a good time at the cake decorating competition?

Reaction score
@Zyni, that shot was taken when the crowd was just starting to grow. But when I went downstairs, there was already a large crowd milling in the contest area so it is difficult to get a good shot although I have some videos on that. It's just sad that I did not linger until the culmination of the awarding rites. From what I know, the winners will be posing with their creation for a pictorial.

PS. I have a new thread about Pastry Festival and you can check what I bought, the photo is my proof.

Reaction score
That sounds really cool. I'm going to see if there are any baking competitions around here that I can attend. I bet the people who won made some fabulous things. I enjoy seeing how creative everyone can be.

Oh, I'll have to find your thread. I didn't know you got goodies too. :)

Ask a Question