Florentines succesfully made!

Reaction score
Did some pretzels today. :)

Tastes as good as anything shop bought. And I redid the florentines. I took my dear mother's advice who said they were too big and a bit hard to bite into. I thought they were fine but was happy to improve them.

Used honey instead of golden syrup (plus less of it), less flour, and I added some double cream. Made them much smaller, thinner and more delicate and lacy, they were too chunky before. And I used a muffin tray to give a more uniform circular shape. And I used milk chocolate this time. Overall, much better! :cool:

View attachment 2185 View attachment 2186 View attachment 2187

Those pretzels look so good. I bought a bag of chocolate covered gluten-free pretzels yesterday…by bedtime the entire bag was eaten:p

I love golden syrup. It is so difficult to find in the US. A few years ago I had no trouble getting it at an independent grocery store in town. But they close down late last year. I’m convinced the bit of golden syrup in my peanut butter cookie recipe is the key to the slightly crisp exterior and chewy interior.

Reaction score
NCB, I've noticed that whenever I reach the desired temperature on first melting the chocolate or when bringing it back up to the working temperature, as I take it off the heat the temperature quickly increases to about another 5 or 6c higher than I needed. Any ideas on that?

Reaction score
NCB, I've noticed that whenever I reach the desired temperature on first melting the chocolate or when bringing it back up to the working temperature, as I take it off the heat the temperature quickly increases to about another 5 or 6c higher than I needed. Any ideas on that?

Yes, the pot is hotter than the chocolate. As you stir the chocolate you re-distributing the heat. When you check the temperature of the chocolate, you check the temperature in the center of the pot. But when you stir the chocolate the chocolate against the sides of the pot and the bottom of the pot get moved to the center. So when you check the temperature again, The overall temperature of the chocolate has in fact increased because you have re-distributed the heat.

Reaction score
Yes, the pot is hotter than the chocolate. As you stir the chocolate you re-distributing the heat. When you check the temperature of the chocolate, you check the temperature in the center of the pot. But when you stir the chocolate the chocolate against the sides of the pot and the bottom of the pot get moved to the center. So when you check the temperature again, The overall temperature of the chocolate has in fact increased because you have re-distributed the heat.

I sort of understand what you're saying. So what am I doing wrong so that the temperature doesn't increase after removing from the heat?

Reaction score
I sort of understand what you're saying. So what am I doing wrong so that the temperature doesn't increase after removing from the heat?

Lowest possible heat

Stir continuously and be sure to bring the chocolate from the bottom and sides of the pot

Check the temperature more frequently and remove the chocolate from the before it reaches the exact target temperature to account for that temperature spike. Remember you can always put the chocolate back on the heat if need be.

Reaction score
Thanks NCB. Yes, I think if I'm aiming for say 43, I'll remove from the heat at about 38c to see if it jumps to 43c and if doesn't I'll put it back on the heat. Seems a bit of a guessing game though.
I kind of thought, Thermapen in, see correct temperature, off the heat, done. But I have to estimate when to remove from the heat and hope it doesn't jump above my target temperature.

Reaction score
Oh by the way NCB, I tested my new perforated mat and it sure gives a great effect! :)

20190727_032613.jpg

Ask a Question