Flourless brownie fail..

Reaction score
Hi all! So I tried making these Nutella Cheesecake Brownies last week and had a slight conundrum. The recipe (http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2014/02/04/flourless-nutella-cheesecake-swirl-brownies/) calls for almond meal, instead of flour. I baked the brownies for about 6 minutes longer than the recipe called for and still found them to be QUITE gooey. Any suggestions? They were delicious, however, the presentation was lacking as they stuck to the parchment and the knife as I cut them!!

Reaction score
Ooh they look yummy, sorry to hear you had problems. Were they completely cooled when you cut them?

Reaction score
Ooh they look yummy, sorry to hear you had problems. Were they completely cooled when you cut them?

Yes, I did wait for them to cool completely. I'm not quite sure if that's just how they were supposed to turn out or not. I've never cooked with almond meal before, so I wonder if that just happens to produce a consistency I'm not used to seeing in baking. They still tasted delicious! The presentation was just a little disappointing.

Reaction score
I have learned from other people not to trust Pinterest recipes too much. Alot of the time people use pictures that aren't the recipe that they've posted then only approve positive comments on their blog.. but I digress! Maybe you need to use a bit more almond flour? Or follow the recipe as so and maybe chill them for a few minutes? That may make them easier to cut. Though after they warm again, you will probably have the same problem. So, if you go with chilling them, you may want to keep them like that. They seem like they would make a good ice cream topper.

Reaction score
Almond meal tends to be very dry. The recipe probably calls for it specifically for the purpose of making it less gooey; even in the pictures on the website, the brownies look a little gooey. I've found that almond meal acts as an absorbing agent in baking. I would try the recipe again using almond flour or even coconut flour.

These brownies look SO good, it might just be worth investing a few bucks in almond meal. It can open up new doors to you for baking... a lot of gluten-free recipes call for it. Good luck :)

Reaction score
These sound delicious. I've made flourless brownies before using ground almonds. Is that the same as almond meal? They were lovely and soft in the middle, slightly gooey but not overly so... Mmmm, must make brownies tomorrow!

Ask a Question