Fluffier bread wanted

Reaction score
I'm new to baking bread. I baked my first two loafs (other than a few in a bread maker years ago) in a toaster oven a few days ago and they came out fine, I think. I'd like to see if I can get the crumb lighter than what I'm getting for variety. Mine felt a little thick, almost like a sour dough or a bread you'd get before dinner, but nothing like a sandwich bread.

A couple restrictions I do have. I'm vegan and trying to eliminate oil, so no oil, dairy of eggs for me. And my oven is small so no dutch ovens. Can I still make a sandwich bread if I choose? I want to make all my own breads from here on out if possible. Maybe I can take a picture of my loaf to help.

Reaction score
I'm new to baking bread. I baked my first two loafs (other than a few in a bread maker years ago) in a toaster oven a few days ago and they came out fine, I think. I'd like to see if I can get the crumb lighter than what I'm getting for variety. Mine felt a little thick, almost like a sour dough or a bread you'd get before dinner, but nothing like a sandwich bread.

A couple restrictions I do have. I'm vegan and trying to eliminate oil, so no oil, dairy of eggs for me. And my oven is small so no dutch ovens. Can I still make a sandwich bread if I choose? I want to make all my own breads from here on out if possible. Maybe I can take a picture of my loaf to help.

Bread is just flour, water, yeast, and salt. You don’t need anything else to make good bread. The problem is how to bake bread in a small oven. You can’t get a dutch oven in the toaster oven. So what’s the best method to bake bread in your oven is the real question. Go over to Fresh Loaf and ask for help there. There’s a number of bakers who routinely bake bread in countertop ovens. I’m sure they can help you figure out the best methods to use in your toaster oven.

There’s so many great recipes that do not use any oil, egg, or animal products. Once you figure out the best method for baking in a toaster oven, you will be able to try different bread recipes.

Reaction score

I started making bread when I was about 18 or so. And I, also, bake bread (rolls) in the toaster oven. They come out golden & delish!!:)

Last edited:
Reaction score

In France the pastry chefs make their own enriched french bread that can be baked in a cooler oven at 350F.
Due to the sugar it will brown up nicely and make a nice soft sandwich bread.
I leave it out on the table in a plastic bag.

Put the ingredients into the bowl in the following order.
1 cup warm water
pkt reg dry yeast.
4 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups of AP flour
1/3 cup crisco VEG shortening
tsp salt.

just follow the directions on the yeast pkt.
BAke at 350-375 approx 35 mins and check , if you like the way it looks... you're good.

Ask a Question