Fondant for beginners

Reaction score
I'm wanting to start working with fondant, I've been doing some research and have taken notes but have never worked with fondant before. Does any one have advice or techniques with working with fondant for someone who is just starting out?

Reaction score
I am brand new to working with the stuff too and would love to hear from people who have experience. I plan to cover my son's birthday cake in fondant and I am really nervous about ruining it. I know that you are supposed to roll it out really thin and coat the cake in butter cream before applying it.

Reaction score
Yea I'm doing a lot of reading, note taking, and watching videos. The good news is I've read it's like working with clay, my husband did a lot of projects for school with clay so we can work together!

Reaction score
I've used it before at home and it was fun but it came out horrible. I thought it was because I made it. Bought some and tried again, same results.

Finally signed up for a fondant pillow class...and it actually came out well. The teacher was impressed with my creativity and gave me some help along the way:

-it needs to be rolled out evenly (and larger than the size you need). You can buy those rings that go around your rolling pin to roll things out evenly OR if what you need is not that big you can use something the thickness you need on either side so the rolling pin doesnt go all the way to the table. (for example, paint stirring sticks but I think these are too thick)

-you need to make sure that buttercream underneath is as even as possible. You can use a slightly wet "scraper-thingy" to help even it out if there are still lumps when it begins to crust over.

-cornstarch is your friend;)

Of course, the main reason I was having trouble...my home. Like, MY home. The cake I decorated in class came out super cute technique wise (they had so many students fondant ran out so I ended up with different colors). I took it home so excited to show my partner. Had to wait about a couple of hours for him to get home from work. When he did, it was a mess. I realized the class was in an air conditioned place. I live in Puerto Rico. It's hot as he77 here. PLUS, my house itself is hot too. So, the problem I was having was that it was too hot to work with fondant. :( So before I work with it again, I have to invest in a portable a/c at least.

Reaction score
Fondant has to be rolled out and laid over the cake. That's what makes it hard, and is the reason I have never actually tried to do it. I think it's just something that takes practice, so go for it, but if it doesn't look too nice the first time don't be too disappointed, just figure out what you could do differently next time and keep trying.

Reaction score
I don't know about you girls, but I really doubt I'll ever be able to do something with fondant, but I must admit the results some people have gotten working with it are just amazing:

radiant-orchid-3-tiered-fondant-cake-large.jpg

img_0001-2.jpg

Rolled_Fondant_Sugar_Paste.jpg

Reaction score
That's good advice the good news is our AC makes our house feel like an ice box! I think practice makes perfect it's one of those things that you have to work with and it may not be pretty the first time, but it's get easier with time.

Reaction score
Trellum keeps pulling these perfect pics and then I have to quickly remind myself I am a long way from making any of these pretty things. They are so beautiful. I remember sharing some tips I found in another thread but that's all I can do. One day I will be able to do stuff like this just to say I've done it.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful pics and I doubt that my fondant skills will ever even remotely give me results like that. I am making my son a Minecraft cake for his birthday with little block cakes and I just want to be able to cover the darn things with some fondant. Maybe by the time my daughter's party rolls around in July, I will have a little more talent.

Reaction score
@Tina Nord blocks are the easiest to cover when starting out. At least that's what I found. There's always "leftover" with circles and harder to smooth out. With blocks anything "left over" on the edges can be cut off and smoothed. Again, this is from my experience with fondant when I was trying it out. I can do squares and have them look "decent" before they start basically melting LOLOLOL, but circles always give me a harder time.

Reaction score
Circles scare me right now because it looks like they would be hard to cover and smooth out. You do not have edges that can be hidden should you mess up. I guess you could cut out a circle for the top of the cake and then a bug strip for the side, but then you will end up with a crease that you would have to decorate over.

Reaction score
I guess the best thing to do is buy fondant roll it out and just start working with it, I've read tips and how to use fondant it seems so confusing but I figure the best way to learn is just to work with it.

Reaction score
AND just in case you're tempted to make your own, I suggest you leave that for when you're more comfortable with working with it. Making it can be fun but the consistency needs to be just right for it to be workable as regular fondant.

Ask a Question