Help with Making Fondant

Reaction score
I've made marshmallow fondant tons of times and today, made a buttercream fondant for the first time. 8 times out of 10, my marshmallow fondant doesn't turn out and I have to make it again. Today, I tried the buttercream hoping it wouldn't give me the same problems but, same issue. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing to cause this issue? Take a look at the photo attached...this pic was of the buttercream, but looks exactly as the marshmallow fondant does when it doesn't turn out.

Attachments

• 20171008_164937.jpg
    20171008_164937.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 428
Reaction score
I've made marshmallow fondant tons of times and today, made a buttercream fondant for the first time. 8 times out of 10, my marshmallow fondant doesn't turn out and I have to make it again. Today, I tried the buttercream hoping it wouldn't give me the same problems but, same issue. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing to cause this issue? Take a look at the photo attached...this pic was of the buttercream, but looks exactly as the marshmallow fondant does when it doesn't turn out.

It's impossible to figure out what went wrong with your fondant by simply looking at your photo.

Have your tried Toba Garrett's recipe?

With an 80% failure rate that's an enormous loss both in labor and money. There are some very good fondants on the market. Why don't you just purchased your fondant.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I've not tried that version of fondant yet, so I'll give it a try. I enjoy making cakes and prefer homemade over store bought products, so I'd really like to figure out the trick to the homemade fondant :) I love working with it......when it does turn out lol. Was hoping the pic of my fondant gave away a specific mistake I am making.

Thanks again for your reply!

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I've not tried that version of fondant yet, so I'll give it a try. I enjoy making cakes and prefer homemade over store bought products, so I'd really like to figure out the trick to the homemade fondant :) I love working with it......when it does turn out lol. Was hoping the pic of my fondant gave away a specific mistake I am making.

Thanks again for your reply!

Master Chef Toba Garrett is a legend. People pay thousands of dollars for her cakes. Her recipe lists glycerin as optional. Use the glycerin. It will keep the fondant pliable.

Reaction score
I used Toba Garrrett's fondant recipe yesterday. It's amazing! Easy to make and it worked wonderfully the first time I made it! This is beautiful fondant! Thank you again for recommending it :)

Attachments

• 20171216_105223.jpg
    20171216_105223.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 424
Reaction score
I used Toba Garrrett's fondant recipe yesterday. It's amazing! Easy to make and it worked wonderfully the first time I made it! This is beautiful fondant! Thank you again for recommending it :)

Your cake looks great. I’m glad to hear Toba Garrett’s recipe worked for you. Happy Caking!

Reaction score
Hey. How do you keep fondant from sweating? I live in a humid place with no AC at all. I need advice. Thanks.

Reaction score
What are you using to dust the table?
Corn starch is a lot better than powdered sugar in your situation.

Ask a Question