Fondant icing to look like a pastry top?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to make a birthday cake for a friend and want it to look like a pie. Any ideas how I colour the fondant to a nice golden brown pie colour? I've experimented with various gels but just can't seem to get it right! Thanks so much for any help. Sophie.

Reaction score
Use food colors and an artists brush.

Or you can sponge on colors onto the fondant instead of a brush.

You might practice in on a excess piece of fondant until you get it looking the way you want.

Reaction score
Thank you. I've tried mixing various colours but just can't seem to get the golden pastry colour I want. Also, Do you think it's better to paint it on than mix it into the fondant?

Reaction score
Thank you. I've tried mixing various colours but just can't seem to get the golden pastry colour I want. Also, Do you think it's better to paint it on than mix it into the fondant?

I would probably do a little of both.
A light shade in the fondant, and a darker shade on the outside to give it that "baked" look.

You might also try an airbrush if you have one.

Reaction score
Thank you, I think I'm going to have to try a non metallic gold food colouring to see if that works. I spent all afternoon mixing different gel colours but just couldn't get a golden pie colour. I never realised it would be so difficult. I also tried coffee but that didn't work either.

Reaction score
Ok, just cracked it I think. Yellow gel with a little brown liquid makes a good tan colour, I just need to make different shades now so it looks like a real pastry pie top. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
This sounds interesting, please do show us some photos of the finished product! I made a fruitcake that looked like a whisky barrel once, but that would be too dark for what you're looking for.

You could experiment with using a blow torch to char the edges a little, and perhaps dust it with some powdered sugar to look like it's floury.

Ask a Question