Fondant vs Icing

Reaction score
On a lot of baking shows, I've noticed bakers tend to use fondant instead of icing. When it comes to baking cakes, I've always used icing because of the creamy texture. I'm sure fondant tastes good and is easy to make, but I don't think it's something I'd ever use.

What do you guys prefer, fondant or icing?

Reaction score
On a lot of baking shows, I've noticed bakers tend to use fondant instead of icing. When it comes to baking cakes, I've always used icing because of the creamy texture. I'm sure fondant tastes good and is easy to make, but I don't think it's something I'd ever use.

What do you guys prefer, fondant or icing?
Never used fondant but only because it seems like a lot of work and I don't know if the taste is that good. I tend to stick with a classic buttercream and make adjustments from there based on the cake flavor.

Reaction score
No, I don't think the taste is good. Sure there's a lot of sugar in it, but also a lot of cornstarch and glycerin, which don't taste good. Consider this recipe:

2 pounds confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup glucose (found in cake decorating stores) or white corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons glycerine (found in cake decorating stores)
1 teaspoon desired flavoring (vanilla will give the fondant an off-white color)
Cornstarch

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking-live/rolled-fondant-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Also, the glycerin picks up the oils and sweat from your hands, so unless the person preparing it wears gloves you'll taste it. Many people prefer the taste of marshmallow fondant instead.

Reaction score
I typically have used a buttercream frosting, BUT I recently obtained a recipe for fondant that includes using marshmallow that I am going to try out for my next birthday cake- the perfect moldings and designs I can create have me intrigued!

Reaction score
I don't really like the taste of most fondants. I also find the texture disturbing. I tend to go taste over design. Fondant can make some crazy impressive decorations though.

Reaction score
Fondant can look quite good as it has a really smooth surface, but I really don't like the taste - I can't put my finger on why though. I much pefer buttercream icing, or even simple royal icing (especially when it's thick enough to not run everywhere!).

Reaction score
Personally, I really don't like buttercream icing but I can see why many people are not fond of fondant. Most cake fondant that you get from the shop has many unhealthy ingredients and a lot of sugar just like @soliloquy mentioned above but if you have the opportunity to make your own fondant, I am sure you will start appreciating it better. Try this recipe instead:

16 oz Marshmallows
2 pounds powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 tsp cornsyrup (optional)
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tbsp water

Procedure:

Firstly, place the bag of marshmallows and water into a bowl and melt the marshmallows in a microwave oven.
Next, the lemon extract and corn syrup (if adding) and thoroughly mix the mixture with a greased wooden spoon.
Once all the marshmallows have fully dissolved, then add food colouring or flavouring as desired.
Now, add powdered sugar in small portions until you have obtained a thick dough-like texture. Remember to uniformly mix the mixture after each addition.
Carefully knead the dough and place it in a ziplock bag for future use.
Remember to always grease work surface so that it is easy to work with the fondant.

If you get a chance to try this recipe, please let me know how it turned out.

Reaction score
I hate fondant. I just don't like the pasty feeling in my mouth whenever I eat it. I would take buttercream icing over fondant any day. I just love icing. Sometimes I even find myself licking from the bowl whenever I make it. I just love that sweet creamy feeling that lays on my tongue as I slowly swallow it down. I must say icing was one of the best creations ever made on this earth, and that I can never get enough of it.

Reaction score
I think fondant looks great, but I prefer the taste of a good buttercream. Maybe it's just the fondant we used, but when my daughter used it on my grandson's birthday cake, it was kind of chewy and tasteless. I like buttercream that actually has a bit of a buttery taste to it. When I worked in a supermarket bakery the "buttercream" was a commercial type that just tasted like sugar and not much else. I will have to try the homemade fondant. Homemade almost always tastes better than store-bought.

Reaction score
I very much prefer frosting because I find the creamy texture and sweet taste with other flavor nuances to be better than the doughy, marzipan like texture of fondant. Frosting seems more natural.

Reaction score
I agree that frosting looks more natural, but I prefer fondant. I know it's not as good for you, but if you want an indulgent cake, then brilliant!

Reaction score
I agree that frosting looks more natural, but I prefer fondant. I know it's not as good for you, but if you want an indulgent cake, then brilliant!

Haha at the bottom of it all cake isn't good for us either, so indulge away! :p

Reaction score
I prefer both of them. I use fondant and icing on cakes. The icing makes the fondant stay on the cake. I use a thin layer of icing with the fondant.

Reaction score
I prefer both of them. I use fondant and icing on cakes. The icing makes the fondant stay on the cake. I use a thin layer of icing with the fondant.
Me too. I agree that fondant doesn't taste good, but it is easy to make and great to work with - plus beautiful on the cake. It is soft and pliable. Buttercream is fresh, made of butter and eggs, sugar and vanilla. It tastes better, that's why I use them both when I make cakes.

Reaction score
Fondant is very forgiving and tends to hold its shape. You don't have to worry about the fondant melting. Frosting has a better flavor and apppeals to more people. You can do things with butter cream that fondant can not complete with. So there are your pros and cons both.

Ask a Question