Fondant

Reaction score
I have always been somewhat intrigued with fondant and all the decorating that I have seen done with it. I made a small batch just to get a feel for working with it and it was fun to work with. Coloring of course is not as simple,a lot of streaking if you aren't careful. I did everything by hand and it was fun. Here is the catch though, I had never actually tasted fondant before and I found it to be not my cup of tea. I know that gum paste is good for making decorations etc but I can't see it being used for much else. Is there an alternative to fondant that doesn't have the same taste or aftertaste?

Reaction score
Marzipan is good for modelling, and you can also get modelling chocolate if you don't like fondant. The chocolate is white chocolate so it doesn't have the same taste as milk or dark chocolate, but different to fondant. There is a cake company in the UK called Choccywoccydoodah and they use modelling chocolate for all their cakes - take a look, they are incredible!

Reaction score
One thing to know about fondant is that it really picks up the oil and sweat from your hands. People should always wear gloves when working with fondant, else it will taste even nastier. For that reason I always take the fondant off the cake. And I still don't understand why people continue to use it when no one likes eating it.

Reaction score
I always suspected that fondant probably tasted bad. You never see anyone on those cake baking reality shows saying that fondant is delicious.
Fondant doesn't even look appetizing, it just looks like edible Play Doh.
I don't trust it. I wouldn't eat one of those cakes that's like a whole carousel made out of fondant. I'd rather just have a normal frosted cake.

Reaction score
I am going to have to look into the modeling chocolate because I am sure there has to be something that taste better. I actually had found a recipe to make it yourself instead. The main ingredient was marshmallows which explains a lot since I cant stand marshmallows. I have texture issues when it comes to touching food so I always do use gloves but it is just yuck. I am going to check the link out and see what they have come up with. Thanks.

Reaction score
this is very interesting i will have a look at the link to just to see whati'm missing all these times!!!

Ask a Question