Forming a "Newton"-type bar

Reaction score
Hello, I found a recipe in a Libby's pumpkin cookbook for bar-type cookies which look just like Fig Newtons but with pumpkin filling. The recipe instructions say to fold the ends of the dough up like a package. I can't envision what that means. I mean I envision that thing where you fold a triangle of paper over a box on the ends, but that would be doubling/tripling sections of dough on the ends, that can't be right, can it? The cookies aren't normal bars, they actually have dough surrounding the filling all around, and are flat, but with each end cut, exposing the filling, does anyone know how this is achieved? Not just a layer of dough, then a layer of filling, then a layer of dough... the dough actually surrounds the entire cookie and is smoothly rounded, exactly like a Fig Newton. I'm lost. Thank you all!

Reaction score
Hello, I found a recipe in a Libby's pumpkin cookbook for bar-type cookies which look just like Fig Newtons but with pumpkin filling. The recipe instructions say to fold the ends of the dough up like a package. I can't envision what that means. I mean I envision that thing where you fold a triangle of paper over a box on the ends, but that would be doubling/tripling sections of dough on the ends, that can't be right, can it? The cookies aren't normal bars, they actually have dough surrounding the filling all around, and are flat, but with each end cut, exposing the filling, does anyone know how this is achieved? Not just a layer of dough, then a layer of filling, then a layer of dough... the dough actually surrounds the entire cookie and is smoothly rounded, exactly like a Fig Newton. I'm lost. Thank you all!

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, thank you! And the way they made them looks so easy and why didn't I think of that? Thank you so much for your help!

Ask a Question