Freezing cookies

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know where to find or has a list of what cookies can you freeze before baking and which cookies can freeze after baking?

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know where to find or has a list of what cookies can you freeze before baking and which cookies can freeze after baking?

It is best to freeze unbaked cookie dough. My BIL step-mother runs a commercial bakery business that specializes in business to business cookie dough. They supply cookie doughs to restaurants and hotels. It’s all frozen cookie dough because freezing a fully baked cookies destroys the quality of the cookie. Freezing the cookie dough, then baking the dough has almost no impact on the quality of the dough.

Pretty much any cookie dough can be frozen.

Drop type cookies such as chocolate chip cookies are best frozen in balls. I find the ideal size is a #40 scoop. The #40 scoop will bake to a 2" cookie. If you want a larger cookie use a #30 scoop.

For the sugar cut out cookies, then form the dough into a disk. Double wrap it in plastic, then place in a freezer ziplock bag. Burp out the air. You will need to thaw the cookie dough before rolling it out. You can take it out the night before baking and place it in the refrigerator to thaw out.

If you are going to make sliced cookies, then form a log. Double wrap in plastic, then place in freezer in ziplock bag. The log will need to warm up for about 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.

Reaction score
Thank you so very much for this informative information.

You’ Welcome. The cookie scoops I referred to are sold at restaurant supply stores and online. The sizes are standardized.

I posted a picture of the two scoops of a previous thread on about freezing cooking dough. I think OXO, a common household kitchenware brand makes small, medium, and large scoops that are similar to these sizes.

https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/christmas-cookie-help.4467/

J13

Reaction score
I do this with almost all my cookies now. Make the batter, scoop onto a tray, freeze, and then drop into a freezer bag (make sure to write on the bag: date made, type of cookie, temperature to bake it, time to bake it). Or, if it's a classic sugar cookie, I roll it into a log—also put into a freezer bag with all the info for baking up the cookies.

It really changed everything for me when I realized I could do this. Before I'd make up the batter, then bake up batch after batch of cookies, and then have to find enough people to eat them all before they went stale :p

Now, if company is coming over, I take out a bag, pop only as many raw cookies as needed in the oven..ta-da! Fresh baked cookies for company. Or if I get a hankering for just three or four chocolate chip cookies...I can make just three or four chocolate cookies for myself—and my husband can do the same as bag tells him how to bake them. AND as a bonus, if you have a few bags of different cookies that all require a bake of 350° for 10-12 minutes, you can put several on one cookie sheet and serve up a variety.

Freedom, freedom. :D

Reaction score
It is best to freeze unbaked cookie dough. My BIL step-mother runs a commercial bakery business that specializes in business to business cookie dough. They supply cookie doughs to restaurants and hotels. It’s all frozen cookie dough because freezing a fully baked cookies destroys the quality of the cookie. Freezing the cookie dough, then baking the dough has almost no impact on the quality of the dough.

Pretty much any cookie dough can be frozen.

Drop type cookies such as chocolate chip cookies are best frozen in balls. I find the ideal size is a #40 scoop. The #40 scoop will bake to a 2" cookie. If you want a larger cookie use a #30 scoop.

For the sugar cut out cookies, then form the dough into a disk. Double wrap it in plastic, then place in a freezer ziplock bag. Burp out the air. You will need to thaw the cookie dough before rolling it out. You can take it out the night before baking and place it in the refrigerator to thaw out.

If you are going to make sliced cookies, then form a log. Double wrap in plastic, then place in freezer in ziplock bag. The log will need to warm up for about 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
Hi,
thank you for this useful information. I'm also starting a business of supplying frozen cookie dough to shops. I'd be really grateful if you could guide me. How long does this frozen dough last? Do I need to add any preservatives in the dough as it does contain eggs, or is it just enough to vacuum pack it?

Reaction score
Hi,
thank you for this useful information. I'm also starting a business of supplying frozen cookie dough to shops. I'd be really grateful if you could guide me. How long does this frozen dough last? Do I need to add any preservatives in the dough as it does contain eggs, or is it just enough to vacuum pack it?

NO! THE ADVISE I GAVE ABOVE IS FOR A HOME BAKER TO FREEZE COOKIES FOR HOME USE, NOT FOR A BUSINESS.

It is clear that you are not professionally trained and have no clue that freezing food does NOT kill bacteria and microbes; the low temperatures just make them dormant. When the food is brought back to 40°F-140°F those microbes start reproducing at an incredible rate. For this reason, food produced for sale to consumers, whether directly or to a third party, is regulated by federal, state, and local agencies in the US.

I will not give you any advise on starting a business, especically in packaging food for sale. In the US there’s actually federal requirements for the packaging of frozen foods. So no, I will definitely not get involved in advising anyone on their business. Food safety is serious.

This will give you an overview of the different areas involved in starting a food business in the US.

Reaction score
NO! THE ADVISE I GAVE ABOVE IS FOR A HOME BAKER TO FREEZE COOKIES FOR HOME USE, NOT FOR A BUSINESS.

It is clear that you are not professionally trained and have no clue that freezing food does NOT kill bacteria and microbes; the low temperatures just make them dormant. When the food is brought back to 40°F-140°F those microbes start reproducing at an incredible rate. For this reason, food produced for sale to consumers, whether directly or to a third party, is regulated by federal, state, and local agencies in the US.

I will not give you any advise on starting a business, especically in packaging food for sale. In the US there’s actually federal requirements for the packaging of frozen foods. So no, I will definitely not get involved in advising anyone on their business. Food safety is serious.

This will give you an overview of the different areas involved in starting a food business in the US.

Agreed! Will be getting some professional help. Thank you for the link.

Ask a Question