Freezing dough for later.

Reaction score
Does anyone do this? I'd love to have different pre-made doughs in my freezer ready for when my husband or I are craving something sweet. I've read the technique of making the dough, rolling it into balls, flash freezing, then sticking into a freezer ziplock bag that has the oven temperature and number of minutes needed to bake...then when you want a cookie you put in the oven for about 2 minutes longer than the original recipe states.

I'm thinking of having these prepped in my freezer:

Reeses chips cookies
Chocolate chip cookies
Snickerdoodle cookies
Oatmeal Raisin cookies

Do you do this already? Have any tips?

Reaction score
Yes, I do!

My method is to just make a regular batch of cookies and then freeze half of the dough.

Instead of doing dough balls, I have found that some varieties (like chocolate chip), work nicely if you roll it into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. Then you can "slice" off cookie chunks for individual servings later, similar to the rolls you would buy at the grocery store.

I sometimes just put it in a ziplock bag and flatten it, too. Then when it freezes, I can stack several on top of each other. When I'm ready to bake, I can then use a knife to cut it into a grid/squares and do the same thing, without the effort of rolling them into balls before freezing. Can you tell that I like to simplify my time even more? I love that they stack easily, too, so I don't waste any space in the freezer.

Reaction score
I do the same Jessi. I do like zip lock bags for so many things and yes they are stackable. As to bread and pizza dough, I do cheat and buy pre packaged dough. It often goes on sale and I simply freeze it to thaw when I need it.

Ask a Question