French Bread Recipe

Reaction score
I'm really loving French bread and always have in comparison to regular bread - Anything with that kind of crust on the outside and the soft center is just divine. My trouble is I have yet to come across a really good recipe that tastes as good as the supermarket bought ones.

The last time I tried there was a lot of misting the dough every few minutes, which was a bit of a pain to be honest. Can anyone help me out with a tried recipe you've used? Thanks.

Reaction score
This is my French bread recipe.
1 egg yolk
4 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 ounce active yeast
Combine the sugar, warm water and yeast in a bowl. Mix for about 3 minutes, then add flour and salt. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place in a warm place until dough double. Turn the dough once. Place dough onto a surface that has flour. Divide dough into equal portions. Roll the dough into a rectangle. Place on a baking sheet and cover with a cloth. Let dough rise in size. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush egg wash over each loaf. Bake for about 40 minutes.

Ask a Question