French bread

Reaction score
I'm using this recipe

http://www.food.com/recipe/old-reliable-french-bread-for-kitchen-aid-mixers-52289

and have cut it in half,I'm waiting for it to rise right now,here are a couple of pictures,let me know if something doesn't look good ;) the last one is the mess or a part of it :),I did put the bowl on top of the fridge,to wait on the hour and it is 68 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit ,in the kitchen ,I assume that should be OK ?

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 475
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 431
Reaction score
here are some more pics ,there sitting on top of the fridge again

and it seems the batteries are dieing in my camera and for some reason there out of order,but the 2 loaves are set to rise another hour or till doubled,right ?

hopefully I can get a couple of more pictures and let everybody know if I can bake a simple loaf of bread or not :)

if I can't,I do expect some feed back lol oh and the loafs were really sticky when I rolled em over,that is normal ? right ?

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 467
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 428
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 474
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 435
Reaction score
and I didn't dust the pan with corn meal,I don't need it with the parchment paper? do I ? :)

Reaction score
there done,finally

other than I have no feelings in my fingertips at the moment,I think it went well,I'm waiting for them to cool off right now and I will give a taste test shortly :)

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 477
Reaction score
it came out great,I'm actually proud of how good it tastes,it is crunchy on the out side and soft in the middle,I did burn the bottom of them just a bit,that is probably because of my oven,that or I'm going to blame on it any way :)

Reaction score
Beautiful!!!! I loved the result you got, it looks like this was made at a bakery, well done! I've always wanted to make my own french bread, at least once to show myself I actually can :) I might actually use this very same recipe! I think the bread we make must taste much better than the one made at the bakery :) Made at home is always better!

Reaction score
You see that whole process. That's what scares me about bread making. I am thrilled the result was a good one. I am still so intimidated by bread making. Bread with yeast I should say. I am yet to try a second one but I am not going to attempt it unless it is super easy. Congrats again.

Reaction score
I really like all the pics you provided to show the bread every step of the way. Very creative and people are always looking for step by step instructions on how to do things. Kind or reminded me of all the pictures that Ree Drummond includes with all of her recipes in her books.

Reaction score
it was actually pretty easy bella and trellum,other than waiting for it to rise,it is fairly quick,of course my Kitchen Aid mixer kicked some butt lol I could have made it with out the mixer,i like it,but it wasn't neeeded,I do have to say that I have watched a couple of videos on how to make French Bread

before I added the yeast and warm water to the mixing bowl,I warmed the bowl up first,I just ran Hot water from the tap over the bottom on my mixing bowl till it got warm,then added the yeast,warm water. my water was at 107 degrees Fahrenheit and,I turned the mixer on for a minute or two,then I let it sit for 10 minutes,before I added the flour

I added another 1/2 cup of AP Flour because I thought it was way to sticky,of course I'm not sure about that being needed

it was awful sticky when i laid it out on my cutting board,but I just took my time when i was rolling it up and it was really easy

you can do it bella and trellum :) and this was my fourth attempt at making some and my best one so far,the last was so bad,that i cut it up into chunks and added it to soup beans lol

try it and let us know how it turns out bella and trellum,I'm sure you can make French Bread if I can :) you can do it and if the first try doesn't come out good,keep trying,that is all I did,it is way easier than I thought it would be

cut the recipe in half,if your nervous about how it will come out,it will save you a little on stuff to make it and i personally don't need 4 loaves

this time they came out a little small for my taste,the next time,I may just make one big one instead of 2 smaller ones

I'm glad you liked the pictures Tina,I wasn't sure if I was over doing it with them or not :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You see that whole process. That's what scares me about bread making. I am thrilled the result was a good one. I am still so intimidated by bread making. Bread with yeast I should say. I am yet to try a second one but I am not going to attempt it unless it is super easy. Congrats again.

it is super easy,just find a couple of videos to watch first,I haven't had much luck at other types of bread,but I'm not going to quit trying :) that is the only way you will learn ot at least that is what works for me

Reaction score
I won't quick but I probably also won't be quick to get back to it. My first and last so far yeast bread looked good on the inside but was too tough and looked slightly overdone when I took it out of the oven. Still I will perfect it but it's a scary thought:) the yeast bread making.

Reaction score
just be sure you proof your yeast first,if you haven't used it in awhile,other than that,I'm sure you can make it :) if I can make some and it comes out good,you can do it too bella

Reaction score
I won't quick but I probably also won't be quick to get back to it. My first and last so far yeast bread looked good on the inside but was too tough and looked slightly overdone when I took it out of the oven. Still I will perfect it but it's a scary thought:) the yeast bread making.

I actually meant I won't QUIT:) not quick. I was too quick typing.
just be sure you proof your yeast first,if you haven't used it in awhile,other than that,I'm sure you can make it :) if I can make some and it comes out good,you can do it too bella

I have heard how important it is proof the yeast. The bread I tried took hours to rise when the recipe said it would take something like half of an hour or something like that. People who saw the recipe said it was misleading from their perspective.

Reaction score
I've had the same problems with other recipes bella,but a lot of that has to do with the temperature and humidity I think ;)

but I'm not sure about it lol

I will be letting things rise from the top of my fridge from now on

Reaction score
I've had the same problems with other recipes bella,but a lot of that has to do with the temperature and humidity I think ;)

but I'm not sure about it lol

I will be letting things rise from the top of my fridge from now on

From the top of your fridge? That's not an option for me. You should have seen me struggling with mine and wondering where to put it. I have to tell you it was quite an experience. I can smile about it now but at the time I was thinking never again. I'm rooting for all you make bread.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine living abroad reminded me how good he is in the kitchen and sent me a short video of him making bread. He insist it's a walk in the park.

Reaction score
heat your micro wave up the next time,I seen a recipe that said to run the micro wave with nothing in it for a minute or two first,give that a try and see if it helps

I think most recipes want it to be around 70 degrees Fahrenheit,room temperature and in a draft free space

your oven will work for a draft free space,as long as your not cooking anything while the dough is in it :)

Ask a Question