Fried Apple Pie

Reaction score
I make them all the time and the recipe is quite simple with a few alterations. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to the crust. Here is a tip, if you want that extra flaky crust when fried or baked. Add ice cubes to the specified amount of water you will be using and strain when adding it into the flour mixture. Then use butter flavor shortening, add 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and extra cinnamon to the pie filling.

I like mine fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar afterwards. I have to have some whipped cream on top that pie lol... Yummy!!! :p

images-2.jpeg

Reaction score
This just sounds interesting to me. I have had apple turn overs, but I don't think i have ever had a fried apple pie. This sounds delicious!

I am going to bookmark this post because now I am seriously craving some sweets, lol.

Reaction score
This just sounds interesting to me. I have had apple turn overs, but I don't think i have ever had a fried apple pie. This sounds delicious!

I am going to bookmark this post because now I am seriously craving some sweets, lol.
Yes, they were absolutely delicious. I made some this morning, except I used frozen peach instead for my pie filling. They were so delicious that they were gone in seconds. You can use whatever fruits you desire for your pie filling. Some people like using fruit pie fillings that comes in the can but I prefer using fresh fruits or frozen fruits instead. I think I am going to make some again tomorrow using blueberries. Yum!!! :p

Reaction score
I have seen these before we call them pan pies where I am from. They are normaly filled with sesonal fruit. these are a great luch box treat ad they freeze extreamly well.

Reaction score
I have seen these before we call them pan pies where I am from. They are normaly filled with sesonal fruit. these are a great luch box treat ad they freeze extreamly well.
Well, I won't really call them a pan pie because they're being placed in a deep fryer. They're similar to a pate except filled with fruits, then put to fry. If you don't like fried foods you can put them on a rack and bake them instead, but I prefer mines fried. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's so cool. I have been craving apple pie lately and this will be a cool and new way to satisfy my craving! Does it work if I just pan-fry it instead of deep-frying the whole thing?

Reaction score
That's so cool. I have been craving apple pie lately and this will be a cool and new way to satisfy my craving! Does it work if I just pan-fry it instead of deep-frying the whole thing?
Yes, absolutely. It can be pan-fry instead of deep-fry. It doesn't make a difference, but I prefer mine deep-fry. I think it's better deep-fry because it comes out less oily and more crispy. If you're going to pan-fry them use a lot of oil in your pan because if you use a little bit of oil the pies will soak up all the oil. You don't want any oily pies!!! ;)

Reaction score
Those do look delicious, and they definitely make a person hungry for a fried apple pie ! I love apple pie, anyway, and this looks so good. Do you make the crust out of a regular pie crust ?? I didn't see the recipe for it, just the things you added that were different.
I have never been very good at making pie crust. I wonder if these would work with a Bisquick type of crust ?? I use that when I make a cobbler, but I have never tried frying a pie of any sort.
Any suggestions ??

Reaction score
Those do look delicious, and they definitely make a person hungry for a fried apple pie ! I love apple pie, anyway, and this looks so good. Do you make the crust out of a regular pie crust ?? I didn't see the recipe for it, just the things you added that were different.
I have never been very good at making pie crust. I wonder if these would work with a Bisquick type of crust ?? I use that when I make a cobbler, but I have never tried frying a pie of any sort.
Any suggestions ??
Yes, you can use a Bisquick type of crust. Here are the ingredients that I did use to make my pastry:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water

I mixed them all together, roll them up into balls then spread them out with a rolling pin and add the apple filling. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not an apple pie person but I do make my own fried pies also. I either use strawberry filling, lemon filling or even chocolate filling for my fried pies. The different variations are yummy!

Reaction score
I make them all the time and the recipe is quite simple with a few alterations. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to the crust. Here is a tip, if you want that extra flaky crust when fried or baked. Add ice cubes to the specified amount of water you will be using and strain when adding it into the flour mixture. Then use butter flavor shortening, add 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and extra cinnamon to the pie filling.

I like mine fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar afterwards. I have to have some whipped cream on top that pie lol... Yummy!!! :p

View attachment 204
I didn't know about the ice cube trick. Next time I need flaky crust I'll be sure to add some ice cubes to the mix. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
ooh these look great! I'm a big fan of apple pie :) I haven't heard of using ice cubes either, I'll be sure to try that!

Ask a Question