Is Frostform Worth the Investment for Easier Cake Decorating?

Reaction score
I am new here and a relatively new baker. I can count the number of cakes I have made on two hands in 27 years of marriage. Recently, I have become interested in proper cake baking and decorating. I have purchased all the tools and have decorated two cakes where I leveled the layers and tried to smooth out the icing properly with a bench scraper. I finally got them mostly smooth after about 30 to 45 minutes. I know it takes a lot of practice, which brings me to this question. Has anyone tried Frostform? I have seen it all over Instagram and it intrigues me and looks like it makes the process quicker. I watched the video on youtube of the designer teaching how to use it. It seems like that once you go to all the trouble of setting it up, it works. However, it only works with certain types of icing like ganache and buttercream that has been warmed enough in the microwave to be soft enough to pipe into the space between the acetate that is placed around the stacked layers. I am just wondering if anyone has used it and if so, is it worth the cost and does it work? I have Christmas money, but I don't want to waste it if this product is not all it is cracked up to be. Thanks.

Reaction score
Gadgets will keep you from developing skill.
I watched their video, it's silly when assembling a cake is so simple if you use common sense.

Stack the layers with buttercream and spin on a cake table. If it's not straight you will see by the wobble. Straighten it and chill for 2 hours.
Now it will not move as you finish it.

Reaction score
Gadgets will keep you from developing skill.
I watched their video, it's silly when assembling a cake is so simple if you use common sense.

Stack the layers with buttercream and spin on a cake table. If it's not straight you will see by the wobble. Straighten it and chill for 2 hours.
Now it will not move as you finish it.
Thank you for that tip about spinning it. I will do that next time. I am not going to buy Frostform. By the time I got it set up I could probably have the cake mostly smoothed.

Ask a Question