Frosting a Cake With a Paper Towel

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the method of using Viva paper towels to smooth frosting so it resembles fondant? I've never tried it but I have a birthday cake to make tomorrow for my daughter. She wants a Minecraft themed cake and everything I found online called for fondant, which I do not want to mess with for this cake. I've got my Viva paper towels ready to dive in tomorrow. Hoping it doesn't end in disaster. If you've tried this method, do you have any tips? Also, is it vital to use homemade butter cream with this method or could I possibly pull it off with store bought? With a toddler constantly going crazy in my house I just don't have a lot of time to focus on this cake too much tomorrow. Thanks in advance for an advice!

Reaction score
THis is the first time I have ever heard of this , let us know how it turn out. Is this a new technique you want to try out or is fondant not availble in you area? I wish you the best ,I hope it turns our wonderfully.

Reaction score
I've worked the fondant before but it has turned into a disaster every single time so I didn't even want to attempt it this time. I was hunting around online for an alternative when I discovered the paper towel method. I tried it out yesterday and it actually worked really well. You have to keep the frosting chilled well once on the cake, but as long as it was cold the paper towel smoothed it all out nicely. Its definitely a method I'll be trying again.

Reaction score
This sound like a lot of fun and something i would not mind trying. Cna you use any paper towel or does it have to be Viva. I am glad to hear that this work out for you.

Reaction score
This sound like a lot of fun and something i would not mind trying. Cna you use any paper towel or does it have to be Viva. I am glad to hear that this work out for you.

You can use any paper towel, but if it has any texture design that will transfer to the frosting. Viva is recommended because they don't have any of that textured design, but I saw that some people said the texture can create a really cool effect on some cakes as long as you aren't looking for that smooth surface on it. It was definitely a lot of fun to try and something I'll be using again in the future for sure.

Reaction score
That is a great way to get a smooth finish! I'd never seen or heard of it before - thanks for letting us know about it :)

Reaction score
I have never heard about this idea. I would love to see how it will turn out to be? If possible kindly share the images.

Ask a Question