Game of Thrones Direwolf - Cheddar Cheese and Rosemary

Reaction score
To celebrate the last episode of Game of Thrones (Season 4) last night, we had some friends over and did a bit of a medieval feast! I decided to have a go at making Hot Pie's direwolf - although I made mine from savoury scone rather than bread. It turned out pretty well!

Here's the recipe (based on one from Paul Hollywood):

160g self-raising flour
330g wholemeal plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
200g cheddar cheese, grated
300ml full fat milk
1 free-range egg, beaten

Mix the dry ingredients together well, and add just enough milk so that it comes together to form a soft (not sticky) dough. Form into the shape of a wolf - you don't want it any thicker than 2cm if possible. I used scissors to snip a fur pattern which worked quite well. Once you are happy, brush the whole thing with the beaten egg, and bake in the oven at 220C for around 25 minutes.

Direwolf scone uncooked.jpg

Direwolf scone cooked.jpg

Reaction score
That's pretty adorable, and quite artistic too. Well done! If you don't mind my asking, how did it go down with you and your friends tastewise?

Reaction score
That looks so awesome! I love Game of Thrones! This has become one of my favorite shows and I am stuck trying to find something else to watch now that the season is over. I hate having to wait until fall for my shows to come back on.

Reaction score
Oh this is awesome! I'm a huge Game of Thrones fan! I may attempt this myself. Tina, I know how you feel, I'm already ready for the next season!

Reaction score
That looks so awesome! I love Game of Thrones! This has become one of my favorite shows and I am stuck trying to find something else to watch now that the season is over. I hate having to wait until fall for my shows to come back on.
You could try out Arrow, or if you want something more akin to GoT, look into The Borgias and The Tudors.

Reaction score
That's pretty adorable, and quite artistic too. Well done! If you don't mind my asking, how did it go down with you and your friends tastewise?

Thanks :) They really liked it! It's quite heavy though, especially if you're expecting something with a similar light structure to bread. So everyone tried a bit (even my vegan friend!) but there were left-overs because everyone was so full. Thankfully it freezes well ;)

Reaction score
Thanks :) They really liked it! It's quite heavy though, especially if you're expecting something with a similar light structure to bread. So everyone tried a bit (even my vegan friend!) but there were left-overs because everyone was so full. Thankfully it freezes well ;)
Oh yeah I can see why that might be a bit tricky - the heaviness I mean. Still, I'll have to try it out myself to see how it goes. Thanks for this. Oh, how did you shape it exactly?

Reaction score
Wow your freinds must have been so impressed .That is amazing it must have taken you hours to make something so wonderful. Does it tastes as great as it looks?

Reaction score
Oh yeah I can see why that might be a bit tricky - the heaviness I mean. Still, I'll have to try it out myself to see how it goes. Thanks for this. Oh, how did you shape it exactly?

Ummm just kinda plopped it out and flattened it into a rough shape, then pulled and pushed it around until I was happy :) I wanted to keep it whole where possible - ie not remove a chunk from one place and add it to another - because I thought it might affect how it rises. With hindsight I would have cut all around the outside so that it rose straight up rather than ballooning outwards. The fur pattern was just done by snipping at the top with scissors.

Wow your freinds must have been so impressed .That is amazing it must have taken you hours to make something so wonderful. Does it tastes as great as it looks?

It didn't take long to be honest! It's one of these great things where the result makes it look like you were slaving away for hours though ;)

Reaction score
Wow this not only sounds like it tastes lovely it looks good too! I think this will be net bread. not sure if I will be as artisitc as you though lol. I may just leave it to the breadmaker to do x

Reaction score
I'm not sure how well it would do in the breadmaker to be honest because it is a scone recipe not bread... you could cut it into rounds like regular scones though :)

Reaction score
That looks delicious! I don't think i would ever have the ability to make something that wonderful, but the sound of rosemary and cheese bread is delicious! I will need to try that soon.

Ask a Question