Gerbaud (Zserbó)

Reaction score
Gerbaud
DSCN8767_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

This is my favorite sweets of all times, and a real Hungaricum.
I'd like to share with you my recipe (using metric system)

Pastry
  • 35 dkg flour
  • 30 dkg butter
  • 1 dl milk
  • 1 egg
  • 10 dkg sugar
  • 2 dkg yeast
Filling:
  • 20 dkg sugar mixed with 15 dkg nutmeat
  • 40 dkg jam/marmalade

First you merge the butter and the sugar with the flour. Then you run the yeast in warm milk (add a bit of sugar). After it's done, pour it into the sugar, and add the egg. Knead it together very well, and cut it into three pieces. Stretch them each out into the size of 25x35cm.
Now apply half the filling onto the first pastry piece. Put the second one on top, and put the rest of the filling on it. Cover it with the last piece.

Now it's ready to be put into the oven. Let it bake until it's golden brown on the top. Then pull it out of the oven, and pour some chocolate or cocoa-mass over it, and let it cool for a few hours.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
This looks really tasty, but I have some questions. How big should the pan be? About how long should you bake it? Thanks for posting, I love trying desserts from all around the world!

Reaction score
My goodness this looks good! I'd love to try it. Does anyone know how to exchange metric into um...whatever it is we call what we use in the US? (Laughing at myself because I don't know!) About the only metric part I understand is the cm's. :(

Reaction score
Soliloquy:
I've actually tried a number of variety for these. As for the pan, I usually use small one, that my pastry just about fit. But when I was at my friend, I used a much bigger one, but had to use more ingredients accordingly to the size of the pan.
The point is that the cake's dough have to be very stretched out to be very thin.
And the baking itself usually takes around 30-40 minutes, but I have I use an old type oven, and I really don't know how much it's tempereture is, I'm guessing it's very high. But I always use my eyes to know when it's good, sometimes I open the oven, look at it, and when the top is starting to get golden brownish, it's about done.

Babble64:
I think you're thinking imperial measurements. I'm not really good at that, but I'll try to convert it for you.
25cm x 35cm = 10inch x 14inch
35 dkg flour = 12 oz
30 dkg butter = 10.5 oz
10 dkg sugar = 3.5 oz
2 dkg yeast = 0.7oz
1dl milk = half a glass :D

I just hope those are the measurements you guys use.

Reaction score
Thanks, Akosluk, I think those conversions might just work! Since my husband's ancestry is Hungarian I think he'd be very pleased if I made him this special treat!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheryl N.

Latest Threads