German Chocolate Cake

Reaction score
I know this sounds pretentious and rude but I really do make the most delicious German Chocolate Cake. In fact, it's the only cake I enjoy making and the only cake me or anyone in my family wants to eat anyway. So, needless to say, after 20 years of practice, I've narrowed down to the most perfect GC Cake in existence. (See? I told you how that would come across.) I've never worried about presentation too much. We all tend to like the messier look with layers visible and chocolate drizzled all over. But, although, I never tire of the taste, I'm getting really bored with the look. Do any of you have any decorating tips or suggestions for a German Chocolate layers cake? Something really unique would be nice because today is my youngest son's birthday and this weekend I'll be baking his cake.

Reaction score
Hmm...I must admit, I'm not the best person to ask, but have you considered maybe using white chocolate for the outside, and mixing it up with the darker chocolates?

Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, it's sort of a caramel look on chocolate, so I'm not sure if white chocolate drizzle would look good. Unless... I added a "Happy Birthday" across the top along with candles that make the white chocolate look good. But, I'm not sure white chocolate is the right taste for this. Who knows, though?! It doesn't hurt to try new things.

Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, it's sort of a caramel look on chocolate, so I'm not sure if white chocolate drizzle would look good. Unless... I added a "Happy Birthday" across the top along with candles that make the white chocolate look good. But, I'm not sure white chocolate is the right taste for this. Who knows, though?! It doesn't hurt to try new things.
Not quite sure what you mean by a caramel look on chocolate...care to explain?

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean by a caramel look on chocolate...care to explain?

Well, the coconut frosting I make for it tends to have a caramel-coloring to it and I'm not sure if that and the red-brown of the German chocolate cake peeking through would look good with white drizzled on top.

Ask a Question