Ginger Cookies

Reaction score
Here is another Korean cookies recipe that I would like to share to you.

Maejakgwa is a Korean traditional cookie that’s really popular. The ingredients are very simple! The combination of 3 kinds of flavors make this cookie very special: ginger, cinnamon, and the pine nuts.

The best part of this cookie is that it’s very crunchy! If all family members sit around together after dinner and taste these cookies, the sound of crunching from each member will give so much fun! You can make this large amount of cookies in 1 hour if you use your food processor, longer if you have to knead by hand.

Ingredients
Flour, salt, sugar, ginger, pine nuts, water, cinnamon powder, and vegetable oil.

Here is the recipe coming from Maangchi one of the famous culinary expert in South Korea.

Reaction score
I love this and I love what the ginger was grated in. I don't think I have seen that. I am guessing I have a lot of equipment to get if I am going to be baking a lot. Still I know how to improvise. I don't have those nuts but this looks like something I would enjoy....And oh..I am dancing when the music starts to play. Where is @ChesterV. Let's dance while we bake...

Oops I just realised it go a little technical. Oops.. I like simple. All that cutting and cutting. Looks like I am going to dance away from the kitchen and hope someone makes a gift of a few of them.:)

Reaction score
I love this and I love what the ginger was grated in. I don't think I have seen that. I am guessing I have a lot of equipment to get if I am going to be baking a lot. Still I know how to improvise. I don't have those nuts but this looks like something I would enjoy....And oh..I am dancing when the music starts to play. Where is @ChesterV. Let's dance while we bake...

Oops I just realised it go a little technical. Oops.. I like simple. All that cutting and cutting. Looks like I am going to dance away from the kitchen and hope someone makes a gift of a few of them.:)

I'm right here!!!!
:D

I love cinnamon, and these sound awesome!
I also like churros. Anything with sugar cinnamon!!!!

Reaction score
I must confess that when I saw the title of thread I really wasn't expecting this type of a cookie. I was completely taken by surprise with the frying and all that. Because it got so technical, it's not something I plan on trying anything soon. I sure would love to taste one or two only. Too much sweetness for me.

Reaction score
I must confess that when I saw the title of thread I really wasn't expecting this type of a cookie. I was completely taken by surprise with the frying and all that. Because it got so technical, it's not something I plan on trying anything soon. I sure would love to taste one or two only. Too much sweetness for me.

I use just enough sugar to take the bitter out of the cinnamon.
And if you want a glaze, you can make a honey glaze.

Reaction score

I am glad that you had love the recipe. That is why I thought of this one which I knew would be something different for making cookies because of the ginger. Koreans always use ginger in many ways and this is already part of their diet and most of their recipes had ginger. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score

If pine nuts is not available in your country I think other kind of nuts can be use and besides we can always substitute ingredients or improvise when we are baking. :)

Reaction score
We can always adjust the measurement of the sugar and if we want that it is not that too sweet we can just put sugar that is just right according to our taste.

Reaction score
If pine nuts is not available in your country I think other kind of nuts can be use and besides we can always substitute ingredients or improvise when we are baking. :)
I am an improvise expert :)but it is mostly with my cooking. I almost never exactly follow a recipe when it comes to cooking but when it comes to baking, I am not that daring. Things like nuts and sugar are not problematic though so I agree with you.

Reaction score
I am an improvise expert :)but it is mostly with my cooking. I almost never exactly follow a recipe when it comes to cooking but when it comes to baking, I am not that daring. Things like nuts and sugar are not problematic though so I agree with you.

We are exactly the same when it comes to cooking I follow my own recipes but when it comes to baking I always follow exact measurements and right ingredients because I am afraid that it will not turn out good. But with my brownies which I made a business before I had my own and improvised and what I may call my final recipe that I used when I am still selling brownies and its taste is what my previous clients is looking for.

Reaction score
Ginger is really one of those spices that I really need to start using more in my kitchen. It would actually make a lot of sense for me to do so because I usually do have some stomach issues with my medications, and I have heard that ginger is really good at soothing the stomach. I have always liked the taste too, so I will definitely keep these on the list of things to make.

Reaction score
Ginger is really one of those spices that I really need to start using more in my kitchen. It would actually make a lot of sense for me to do so because I usually do have some stomach issues with my medications, and I have heard that ginger is really good at soothing the stomach. I have always liked the taste too, so I will definitely keep these on the list of things to make.
You must. I too need to use it more but I have it on hand a lot of the times. I like it as a tea, in my cooking, my baking and in smoothies. It's suppose to be helpful for so many things and I just love the flavour.

Reaction score
With just the list of ingredients alone, I could settle in the sofa and eat that twisted ginger cookies. Pine nut is the favorite of my husband and for sure he would take a sample of that. Cinnamon is the love of my niece and surely she wouldn't let it pass like that. And with the ginger flavor, I'd say its a novelty of sorts. And with that look in the picture, the twisted cookies seem to be caramelized? Gee, I would love to taste that.

Reaction score
With just the list of ingredients alone, I could settle in the sofa and eat that twisted ginger cookies. Pine nut is the favorite of my husband and for sure he would take a sample of that. Cinnamon is the love of my niece and surely she wouldn't let it pass like that. And with the ginger flavor, I'd say its a novelty of sorts. And with that look in the picture, the twisted cookies seem to be caramelized? Gee, I would love to taste that.

I am sure you and your family will like this and the fact that the ingredients are just easy to find and this is also easy to make :)

Reaction score
I really am a ginger lover, I can not eat my soup without ginger in it, however, eating it even in cookies would be really awesome, I will probably try these, but I do not really think I will find all the ingredients since these may have different names in my country, but I would not be losing anything just by trying, by the way, thank you for sharing, it surely is going to be useful for a lot of people in the forum.

Reaction score
These look very tasty. I definitely love ginger cookies. The large soft ones are tasty, and the smaller gingersnaps are nice and crispy, and often richly flavored. I've only cooked with pine nuts a few times, and it's been a long time, because they're prohibitively expensive. How expensive are they there? Many nuts are expensive here, but pine nuts are particularly so. I wonder if there's another nut that could be substituted, without losing the basic flavor?

Reaction score
Awesome! I personally do not like ginger cookies, or anything that contains ginger actually. However, my sister in law is in the first trimester of pregnancy and SWEARS by this recipe. The ginger in this helps with her morning sickness. Her sickness isnt nearly what it was, and she can manage to carry on with her day without having to lay in bed all day.

Reaction score
Everyone in my family just loves ginger cookies, and I would love to try this recipe one day soon. It seems a bit complicated to me right now because I just took up baking and I'm starting from the basic, simple recipes and working my way up. Thanks for sharing it.

Ask a Question