Gluten Free Bread Collapses - Troubleshooting Tips Needed

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in determining why Gluten Free Bread collapses after taking it out of the oven? We live at 4600 feet elevation, so I use high altitude adjustments. I didn't have this problem several years ago, but have had it this last year. I have purchased new yeast and keep it in the freezer to keep it fresh. I've also changed to only proof the yeast for 7 minutes (saw this under someones troubleshooting guide).

I've posted a picture of the sad looking loaf I baked today. It was beautiful coming out of the oven, then did this as it cooled.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Nancy
Chino Valley, AZ

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Looks like it made a big bubble which fell flat after baking. Wow 7 min proof? That's really short. It must be instant yeast. I've been staying with old fashioned Active yeast instead of rapid/instant and using longer proof times and two rises and it seems to help with this. I've had this happen too. I don't think you need to buy new yeast though, but you might try a long cool rise in the refrig instead. I'm not familiar with instant yeast but I would guess 2 hours in the fridge and then a half hour on the counter before baking would help.

Ask a Question