Gluten Free Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe with GF Flour Blend

Reaction score
My gluten free chocolate chunk cookie is a bit of effort, but I wanted a cookie that tasted like a real chocolate chunk cookie. Most gluten free cookies are like styrofoam--I thought those of us who can't eat gluten deserve better than a styrofoam cookie.

GF Flour Blend For This Recipe
(makes enough for 2 batches of cookies)

Sift flours at least three times to ensure it is well blended

• 205 grams brown rice flour (Authentic Foods or Bob's Red Mill)
  • 105 grams white rice flour (Authentic Foods or Bob's Red Mill)
  • 48 grams sweet rice flour (Mochiko)
  • 48 grams oat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 31 grams tapioca flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 5 grams xanthan (Bob's Red Mill)

::::::::::///////////::::::::::::::::///////////::::::::::::::::///////////::::::::::

My GF cookie recipe was adapted from a wheat based recipe from the blog Not Without Salt. Since GF doesn't follow the rules, I made changes to sugar ratios and fats.

The cookie dough must be rested before baking as gluten free flours take a while to full hydrate. I make my dough the day before and rest overnight in the refrigerator. But I've baked these after a couple hours rest.

Bake at 360 for about 12 minutes on baking sheet lined with parchment. Rotate sheet after 6 mins.

GF Chocolate Chip Cookie

Whisk and set aside:

• 220 grams GF flour blend
  • 5 grams fine sea salt
  • 4 grams baking soda

Cream for 4 minutes with paddle attachment on medium low speed:

• 115 grams unsalted butter, slightly softened (Kerrygold)
  • 50 grams full fat cream cheese, softened (Kraft Philadelphia)
  • 165 grams cane brown sugar (C&H)
  • 45 grams cane turbinado sugar (Wholesome)
  • 45 grams cane granulated sugar (C&H)

Mix into creamed butter and sugars to fully incorporate:

• 1 large egg
  • 10 grams vanilla extract or paste (Nielsen Massey paste)

Mix in GF flour mixture untik just blended
  • Mix in 250 grams chocolate, chopped (Callebaut bittersweet or Trader Joe's 72% Dark Chocolate)
Chill overnight in refrigerator

I use a #40 scoop to potion out dough.

Attachments

• IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 458
Reaction score
Looks yummie!

Now........if someone could make a sugar free cookie that doesn't taste like chemicals or plastic.
:D

Reaction score
My gluten free chocolate chunk cookie is a bit of effort, but I wanted a cookie that tasted like a real chocolate chunk cookie. Most gluten free cookies are like styrofoam--I thought those of us who can't eat gluten deserve better than a styrofoam cookie.

GF Flour Blend For This Recipe
(makes enough for 2 batches of cookies)

Sift flours at least three times to ensure it is well blended

• 205 grams brown rice flour (Authentic Foods or Bob's Red Mill)
  • 105 grams white rice flour (Authentic Foods or Bob's Red Mill)
  • 48 grams sweet rice flour (Mochiko)
  • 48 grams oat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 31 grams tapioca flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 5 grams xanthan (Bob's Red Mill)

::::::::::///////////::::::::::::::::///////////::::::::::::::::///////////::::::::::

My GF cookie recipe was adapted from a wheat based recipe from the blog Not Without Salt. Since GF doesn't follow the rules, I made changes to sugar ratios and fats.

The cookie dough must be rested before baking as gluten free flours take a while to full hydrate. I make my dough the day before and rest overnight in the refrigerator. But I've baked these after a couple hours rest.

Bake at 360 for about 12 minutes on baking sheet lined with parchment. Rotate sheet after 6 mins.

GF Chocolate Chip Cookie

Whisk and set aside:

• 220 grams GF flour blend
  • 5 grams fine sea salt
  • 4 grams baking soda

Cream for 4 minutes with paddle attachment on medium low speed:

• 115 grams unsalted butter, slightly softened (Kerrygold)
  • 50 grams full fat cream cheese, softened (Kraft Philadelphia)
  • 165 grams cane brown sugar (C&H)
  • 45 grams cane turbinado sugar (Wholesome)
  • 45 grams cane granulated sugar (C&H)

Mix into creamed butter and sugars to fully incorporate:

• 1 large egg
  • 10 grams vanilla extract or paste (Nielsen Massey paste)

Mix in GF flour mixture untik just blended
  • Mix in 250 grams chocolate, chopped (Callebaut bittersweet or Trader Joe's 72% Dark Chocolate)
Chill overnight in refrigerator

I use a #40 scoop to potion out dough.
These cookies look amazing! Wow, you’re right, this recipe looks a bit like a labor of love for cookies but it’s worth it to get the wonderful cookie taste and texture. Yours came out with such a nice height!

I have some GF AP flour sitting around. My husband and I tried going GF a while back. We lasted less than a week lol. My husband’s cousin is GI. I’ve made GF treats such as rice pudding, flan, etc for when we visit him, but I would like to try a proper baked sweet. I was thinking of a quick bread!

Reaction score
These cookies look amazing! Wow, you’re right, this recipe looks a bit like a labor of love for cookies but it’s worth it to get the wonderful cookie taste and texture. Yours came out with such a nice height!

I have some GF AP flour sitting around. My husband and I tried going GF a while back. We lasted less than a week lol. My husband’s cousin is GI. I’ve made GF treats such as rice pudding, flan, etc for when we visit him, but I would like to try a proper baked sweet. I was thinking of a quick bread!

Thank you. I’ve been gluten-free for 10 years due to celiac. Which unfortunately runs in my family. I hate living gluten free.

I’ve been a baker for about 20 years now. For the first three years after diagnosis I didn’t bake at all. I make both gluten-free and traditional baked goods for all our family events and holidays. Since my family will eat the gluten free goods without hesitation, I make a real effort to produce something that is as close to traditional baked goods as possible.

Somethings like my gluten free piecrust and most of my cookies are indistinguishable from their traditional wheat counterparts. But bread is and always will be a problem to replicate.

I am convinced gluten free bread will always be sub-standard. Gluten and fermentation are essential to flavor and texture. Without gluten texture suffers. Without long fermentation, flavor suffers. I’ve made peace with the fact that I will never be able to eat a really great piece of bread ever again.

Reaction score
Thank you. I’ve been gluten-free for 10 years due to celiac. Which unfortunately runs in my family. I hate living gluten free.

I’ve been a baker for about 20 years now. For the first three years after diagnosis I didn’t bake at all. I make both gluten-free and traditional baked goods for all our family events and holidays. Since my family will eat the gluten free goods without hesitation, I make a real effort to produce something that is as close to traditional baked goods as possible.

Somethings like my gluten free piecrust and most of my cookies are indistinguishable from their traditional wheat counterparts. But bread is and always will be a problem to replicate.

I am convinced gluten free bread will always be sub-standard. Gluten and fermentation are essential to flavor and texture. Without gluten texture suffers. Without long fermentation, flavor suffers. I’ve made peace with the fact that I will never be able to eat a really great piece of bread ever again.
Wow, I’m so sorry. That must be really frustrating, although you sound like you’ve managed to cope. I can’t imagine how hard it must have been after the initial diagnosis to not bake. I think I’d really struggle. What am I talking about? I couldn’t even handle a week of GF eating. It’s great that there’s a whole huge industry devoted to GF options, so many of the products just don’t taste the same.

I made GF pancakes once and was very pleased by the result! My husband couldn’t tell the difference from regular pancakes.

Do you like GF desserts like flan, puddings, etc?

Reaction score
Wow, I’m so sorry. That must be really frustrating, although you sound like you’ve managed to cope. I can’t imagine how hard it must have been after the initial diagnosis to not bake. I think I’d really struggle. What am I talking about? I couldn’t even handle a week of GF eating. It’s great that there’s a whole huge industry devoted to GF options, so many of the products just don’t taste the same.

I made GF pancakes once and was very pleased by the result! My husband couldn’t tell the difference from regular pancakes.

Do you like GF desserts like flan, puddings, etc?

Overall I think I’ve made peace with the fact that I will never be able to eat gluten again. Every once in a while I’ll throw common sense to the wind and have some gluten. But it always makes me sick.

Yes I’ve come to realize there are a lot of things that are naturally gluten-free. And my all-time favorite dessert is really good gelato or ice cream. A cool glass of sprinkling water and a bite of gelato before I die is all I need to die a happy women:)

Reaction score
Wow, that’s rough! Is it hard for you to get your necessary fiber requirements in your diet?

When I tried GF for that week, I was really frustrated by how little fiber I was getting.

Reaction score
Wow, that’s rough! Is it hard for you to get your necessary fiber requirements in your diet?

When I tried GF for that week, I was really frustrated by how little fiber I was getting.

I tend to eat more vegetarian diet. So a lot of vegetables. I can make a meal out of a bowl full of peas, broccoli, and roasted Brussel sprouts. In the winter months I make up big batches of root vegetable hash. And rare is the day that I do not begin with a bowl of old fashion oatmeal. So I manage to get in a ton of fiber. But I do get my cravings for meat.

Reaction score
I tend to eat more vegetarian diet. So a lot of vegetables. I can make a meal out of a bowl full of peas, broccoli, and roasted Brussel sprouts. In the winter months I make up big batches of root vegetable hash. And rare is the day that I do not begin with a bowl of old fashion oatmeal. So I manage to get in a ton of fiber. But I do get my cravings for meat.

Getting leafy and green vegetables is a pain in the ass in Russia, especially during the winter. Sure, potatoes and cabbage are plentiful, but it is amazing to me how expensive broccoli, green beans, and my other favorite veggies are. I bought Brussel sprouts once for Thanksgiving, and they came out to like $10 USD per pound. Ouch!

Oh man, I'm always craving meat lol! Are you a pescetarian?

Reaction score
I hadn't realised you were coeliac @Norcalbaker59! I'm glad you've been finding ways to substitute GF ingredients, although I agree that it's never quite the same. I have a friend who has IBS and I've made her GF treats in the past, it's nice to have an interesting challenge :)

Reaction score
Getting leafy and green vegetables is a pain in the ass in Russia, especially during the winter. Sure, potatoes and cabbage are plentiful, but it is amazing to me how expensive broccoli, green beans, and my other favorite veggies are. I bought Brussel sprouts once for Thanksgiving, and they came out to like $10 USD per pound. Ouch!

Oh man, I'm always craving meat lol! Are you a pescetarian?

Wow that is expensive for brussels sprouts. I’m fortunate that I live in a state that is an agricultural center. So vegetables are plentiful you’re around. But when I lived on the East Coast, selection and good quality vegetables were more difficult to find during the winter months.

Reaction score
I hadn't realised you were coeliac @Norcalbaker59! I'm glad you've been finding ways to substitute GF ingredients, although I agree that it's never quite the same. I have a friend who has IBS and I've made her GF treats in the past, it's nice to have an interesting challenge :)

Yes unfortunately celiac disease runs in my family. I have two nieces who also suffer from it. And I suspect my grand niece also has it. She’s only four but she’s already exhibiting the symptoms:(.

Yes gluten-free baking is an extraordinary challenge. But it is satisfying when I finally get a recipe to work. I’ve tried using commercially blended gluten-free flours. But I find there is no such thing as “all purpose” gf flour. So I’ve pretty much given up on blends. I just stock a bunch of gluten-free flours and development blends for the specific baked goods.

Ask a Question