Gluten Free & Dairy Free Yellow Cornbread

Reaction score
Being allergic to dairy, I tend to only look for recipes that I can easily modify and adapt to my needs. I'm not gluten free, however, dairy and gluten free often seem to go hand in hand in the UK and with this recipe, that is the case.

We are making it later this week as well, so I can update you all on what it tastes like!

Ingredients
200g/7oz fine yellow cornmeal (also called maize meal)
50g/1¾oz brown rice flour
4 tsps baking powder
2 tbsp. caster sugar (fine sugar)
2 tsp paprika
½tsp salt
100ml sunflower or safflower oil
10g/½oz sunflower margarine (make sure it is dairy free)
280ml water
100ml soya cream

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
  • Grease a 1lb loaf tine with sunflower oil or sunflower margarine (dairy free)
  • Sift all the cornmeal, rice flour, baking powder, paprika and salt into a large bowl and stir in the caster sugar.
  • In another bowl or jug, mix the oil, melted margarine, water and soya cream.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter
  • Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for around 45 minutes until the knife/skewer test is clean.
  • Leave to cool in the tin.

Reaction score
I make blue and red cornbread with only cornmeal, no other grain. The recipe suggests milk but water works fine, and I use oil instead of butter.

2c cornmeal
1/4c sugar
2tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1tsp salt

1/4c oil
3/4c water (or any milk)
2 eggs

Simple to make. Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, bake in 9x9 25min @ 450F

Reaction score
These are quite interesting. Dancinglady's recipe seems supper simple and simple is my first name when it comes to baking. I wonder if the others would enjoy this. I bought some cornmeal ages ago to prepare our National dish and months later I still have it there sitting around. I am thinking I should try this super simple recipe.

Ask a Question