Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Chickpea Cookies

Reaction score
[link deleted]

I came up with recipe few days ago, its sugar free and gluten free. it was an experiment with Chickpea flour and it turned out amazing... If you try it please let me know how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I don't think so, chickpea flour is very dry and it needs the moister in order to have a soft and testy cookies.

It’s the high saturated fat in the coconut oil.

Coconut oil is around 86% saturated fat; butter is 50% saturated fat.

If you do a comparison of saturated fats by weight of coconut oil vs. butter, that difference is significant. Fat in baking matters as it is incorporated directly into the product, in larger quantities than other applications, and in its pure form.

• 1 tablespoon fat = 14g
  • 1/2 cup = 113 g
  • 1 cup = 227 g
  • 1 1/2 cup = 339g
  • 339g = 24 Tablespoons

Coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon contains 12 g Saturated Fat
  • 24 tablespoons x 12 g saturated fat = 288g saturated fat
The batch makes 29 cookies
  • 288/29 = 9.9 g saturated fat from coconut oil per cookie

Butter
  • 1 tablespoon butter contains 7g saturated fat
  • 24 tablespoons x 7 g saturated fat = 168 g saturated fat
  • 168/29 = 5.79 g saturated fat per cookie if butter is used

There are low saturated fat oil alternatives to coconut oil and butter that can be used in baking:
  • Olive oil
  • Canola oil
  • Safflower oil

Since your recipe contains eggs, you do not need a solid fat for creaming. Creaming is for leavening; it’s known as mechanical leavening. But you can achieve leavening by beating eggs and sugar in what is called ribbon stage eggs.

In a cookie application you do not need to heat the eggs and sugar to dissolve the sugar before beating. But in cake applications it’s best to dissolve the sugar.

Link below on how to ribbon eggs. This explains two methods; how it’s done with other ingredients and how to ribbon whole eggs and sugar separately.

Serious Eats Kenji Alt-Lopez, chef and food scientist has a chocolate chip cookie recipe in which used browned butter. Given his fat is liquefied, he uses ribbon eggs in place of creamed butter and sugar. Reviewing his recipe illustrates the order and mixing method of ribbon eggs in cookies.

https://www.craftybaking.com/howto/eggs-beating-techniques-whole-eggs-and-yolks

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html

Reaction score
Well, I notices that you are all about reading from different books, have you ever created or just made up your owen recipes from scratch without looking at a cooking book? not everything is a science or reading and believing what people want you to read so they could sell you a book... I am all about flavors and the creation of my own recipes from scratch, your comment will be the same as if someone's uses a lot of butter or oil, people will find something to complain about and try to analyze it...

I experiment with ingredients and test them, I have a load of friends and family that try them and they are fully honest trust me, if they like something they say they like it and if they don't they will tell me as well.... its your choice of what to use in your baking or cooking so you don't have to try my recipes.. Thank you for your info that you posted I already know it by heart so your not adding to my knowledge of baking...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I notices that you are all about reading from different books, have you ever created or just made up your owen recipes from scratch without looking at a cooking book? not everything is a science or reading or believing what people want you to read so they could sell you a book... I am all about flavors and the creation of my own recipes from scratch, your comment will be the same as if someone's uses a lot of butter or oil, people will find something to complain about and try to analyze it...

I experiment with ingredients and test them, I have a load of friends and family that try them and they are fully honest trust me, if they like something they say they like it and if they don't they will tell me as well.... its your choice of what to use in your baking or cooking so you don't have to try my recipes.. Thank you for your info that you posted I already know it by heart so your not adding to my knowledge of baking...

I have about 20 years of baking experience. I’ve been trained in professional culinary programs including CIA. I’ve studied abroad. I’ve been gluten-free for 10 years so I bake both with traditional wheat flour and an extensive array of alternative flours.

For a number of years I’ve developed my own recipe. I use a few recipes out of books. I recommend recipes from other bakers. But my collection of my own recipes is so extensive that I don’t have to use anyone else’s recipes. I’ve not posted many recipes here, but I think what I’ve posted are my own.

My knowledge base and skills is extensive enough that even for one poster here I re-created her grandmother’s bread recipe based solely on a list of ingredients to make 35 loaves of bread. No instructions.

I provide links to the work of others that provide proven techniques, formula, and baking science. These are excellent resources for all bakers. The average baker does not have access to culinary textbooks. And too, professional textbooks are not written like a cookbook. They don’t use recipes. They use formula based in baker’s percentages with a notation on scale. Measurements are in metric weight. Temperature is in Celsius. Method is in professional terminology. The links I post translate commercial production methods to into language and methods understandable to the home baker.

Every baker is really an expression of those who came before. There’s very little original work. And how we all become better bakers is we learn from each other.

I sense that you’re upset by my post. The feedback is to clarify the issue with the ingredients.

You asked for feedback from those who try the recipe. But the recipe has an ingredient issue that makes bakers hesitant to try it. Communicating the concern with the coconut oil is not to insult you. Rather it’s to communicate the reason why this recipe is not one I will try. And I’m not the only Baker who has concerns about the saturated fat in coconut oil. In fact every health organization in the world including, the World Health Organization, has issued warnings about the consumption of coconut oil due to the saturated fat levels.

If the objective is to develop a baking website where readers are inspired to try your recipes, then it’s important to know why a recipe is rejected by readers.

Reaction score
I am not upset at all believe me...

All I did is point out that your comments on every feed here is always the same, they are from different books and different famous bakers and they are a long pages of explanation and formulas from books that peoples sometimes don't care about, and I do sense that you have a little jealousy of other bakers or cooks or anyone posts anything on this site...

I do ask for a feed back on my recipes from people who actually tried them and not from someone just try to put my work and effort down by showing they are a know it all because they read a book or two...

I am glad you have that much knowledge by reading about the world health and trust me I know as much or even more than you about nutrients and healthy options and that's how I base most of my recipes on but I don't write a page long of explanation every time someone post or comments on a post.

Reaction score
Baking is 100% science. If I didn’t provide the links and explained it in actual culinary terms, bakers would not be able to understand it.

Every poster that requests assistance with a problem can only solve their problem by understanding the baking science. It is a failure of applying correct science that results in the failure. The collapse of bread; the failure of a custard base mousse to solidify, a cookie that puffs up, a cake the mounds and cracks down the center— every cause of these types of baking failures is rooted in baking science. The only way to correct these problems is to understand the science and apply the correct science.

If you want to ignore the science, that’s fine. Don’t read my responses. But when people post asking for help to correct a failed baking project I’m going to give them the information needed to correct the problem.

Since I once pursued a career in the medical field, I’ve gone through college general biology, human biology, human chemistry, and human anatomy. There’s 3 doctors, 2 nurses, 1 registered nutritionists in my immediate family. So I have a very good understanding of human biology and health; and it is a frequent topic in my circle.

Coconut oil is simply one of those ingredients that should be used in moderation.

Regarding only wanting feedback from those who actually try your recipes...my point is nobody’s going to try recipes containing ingredients they will not eat. Isn’t the idea behind a baking website to develop recipes bakers want to bake and eat?

Only two of us had a response to your recipe. Both indicate we are not going to try it; both for the same reason, the amount of coconut oil. That’s very important feedback to any recipe developer.

Reaction score
Well if you receive the thread you’ll see I’m responding to each one of your posts. It’s your thread. Your posts are up to 10 paragraphs long here. But we’re done here.

Reaction score
Only two of us had a response to your recipe. Both indicate we are not going to try it; both for the same reason, the amount of coconut oil. That’s very important feedback to any recipe developer.

This is the crux of the issue. Personally I feel that any recipe that is attempting to be healthy cannot contain that amount of saturated fat. I have used coconut oil in the past, but never under any illusion of health benefits. Those cookies each contain nearly half the recommended daily limit of saturated fat, and personally there are many other things I'd rather eat. I'm sure they're delicious, and in no way do I mean for it to come across as a criticism for coming up with the recipe yourself. But I believe in that everything should be eaten in moderation, and for that reason I do not want to make those cookies.

All I did is point out that your comments on every feed here is always the same, they are from different books and different famous bakers and they are a long pages of explanation and formulas from books that peoples sometimes don't care about, and I do sense that you have a little jealousy of other bakers or cooks or anyone posts anything on this site...
Wow like I said your comments are two pages long and no one has the time for this but apparently you do!

Discussion is always welcome here - in fact it is strongly encouraged. If you disagree with someone's opinion then you are welcome to put your own thoughts forward. But I draw the line when the criticism is personal. You asked for feedback, and feedback was given. If you took it personally then that's up to you, but lashing out at the person giving the advice is rude. Personal attacks will not be tolerated here.

Reaction score
I appreciate every comment no matter what it is and from anyone as long as it’s respectful but I noticed some people here just putting everyone down and acting like they know it all and coming cross rude!

And taking a whole page posting their comments by adding text from books they read or reading!! not even their own opinion!

You don’t have to make the cookies or anything else I post its your choice!

I noticed a lot of people here are beginners and when they need help they need a straight answer not quotes from a text book half a page long that have them confused!

Reaction score
@Cooking from your heart those posts are not copied from a book, it is just detailed advice. In my opinion it is very important to understand the reason behind why advice is given, which is what @Norcalbaker59 always tries to do. If you view help as criticism then that says more about you than it does about the person giving the advice. There is no need to take it personally.

Reaction score
Maybe it’s helpful to some people but I find it personally a waste of my time that every single comment is a page long and just going around in circles without answering a simple question that someone needed the answer too right away, who has this much time on their hands, but its ok I am over the whole thing and it’s not really worth it.

I am not the type to fight or argue on social media and you could check all my accounts I never fight or argue with anyone always nice and polite to everyone but not sure why she rubbed me the wrong way for some reason the first time I read some of her comments on some posts..

Also when you commented on my cookies you said eeh without even testing the recipe, all you had to say is I think the amount of coconut oil is high without making the recipe sound disgusting!

Being humble is the key to make friends and to get to know people!
Thanks for taking the time to check out my recipe and if you don’t mind I am closing this issue!

I have blocked her so I don’t have to deal with her type of personality!

Reaction score
I appreciate every comment no matter what it is and from anyone as long as it’s respectful but I noticed some people here just putting everyone down and acting like they know it all and coming cross rude!

And taking a whole page posting their comments by adding text from books they read or reading!! not even their own opinion!

You don’t have to make the cookies or anything else I post its your choice!

I noticed a lot of people here are beginners and when they need help they need a straight answer not quotes from a text book half a page long that have them confused!

I have never once copied and pasted anything from a book to post here or anywhere else. My posts are a reflection of my education and experience. As I stated, I have extensive training and 20 years of baking experience. If you are going to make such allegations, you should substantiate them with direct links to works you allege I plagiarized.

In fact, I own very few cookbooks, less than 20. The majority are not on baking. Of the four or five baking books, only one is on food science. I cleared out my cookbook library in 2006. The books I kept have sentimental value to me. What I kept and continue to add to are my baking binders filled with notes from my baking classes and studies, enough to fill several file boxes. I continue to take baking courses as there's still more to learn and explore.

The information I provide is accurate, complete, and directly related to the questions. It is not for you to decide what others need or want in response to their baking problem questions. A beginner baker becomes and advanced baker through knowledge and practice. A poster is not obligated to read the information I provide. And it is not for you to determine what information I, or any other participant here provides.

I have not said anything rude.

Reaction score
Maybe it’s helpful to some people but I find it personally a waste of my time

Then allow me to free up your time by blocking you from the site. If you are only interested in promoting your blog, seeking validation, and being rude to members who offer advice, then this is not the forum for you.

Reaction score
Totally missed the drama here... haha but I did like this topic! I'm having to experiment more with GF because of my husband. I didn't come up with my own recipe but I found a few online that I wondered if anyone had tried. Or would take a look and give some feedback ( I promise I won't get bent out of shape as the original poster ;) ) What do you think of these?

https://detoxinista.com/vegan-chickpea-chocolate-chip-cookies-gluten-free-nut-free/ - this one has coconut oil like you had been discussing before.

https://www.texanerin.com/grain-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-bites/ - this is a top one but I've heard it doesn't taste as good.

https://boschmixers.com/recipe/gluten-free-chocolate-chip-chickpea-cookies/ - this uses chickpea flour instead of canned chickpeas... thoughts?

I want to make some cookies for my family and need to choose something my husband can have. I'd appreciate any feedback on those recipes if you take a look or have tried them yourselves.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Eek, yeah things got a little heated! Sorry about that. For the record I don't have anything against using coconut oil, I just think people should be aware of what they are eating.

The Detoxinista recipe only has 3 tbsp of coconut oil, so I wouldn't have any concerns about the saturated fat content ;) Plus I guess it depends on what you're going for... if your husband can't eat wheat but wants a yummy treat then don't feel bad about the amount of fat and sugar, they're both fine in moderation.

The only recipe from those three that I have made is the Texan Erin one, and it's great! I've made them a few times, and they always go down really well with friends:

https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/gluten-free-vegan-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.2945/

They're great if you like gooey, chewy cookies. If you're a fan of crunchy cookies then I'd give either the Detoxinista or Bosch recipes a try :)

Reaction score
Eek, yeah things got a little heated! Sorry about that. For the record I don't have anything against using coconut oil, I just think people should be aware of what they are eating.

The Detoxinista recipe only has 3 tbsp of coconut oil, so I wouldn't have any concerns about the saturated fat content ;) Plus I guess it depends on what you're going for... if your husband can't eat wheat but wants a yummy treat then don't feel bad about the amount of fat and sugar, they're both fine in moderation.

The only recipe from those three that I have made is the Texan Erin one, and it's great! I've made them a few times, and they always go down really well with friends:

https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/gluten-free-vegan-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.2945/

They're great if you like gooey, chewy cookies. If you're a fan of crunchy cookies then I'd give either the Detoxinista or Bosch recipes a try :)

THANK YOU! That is so helpful. Those GF vegan peanut butter choco chip cookies you made look divine! I definitely will try those first then try the others and see which our family likes. I'm more of a chewy cookie person myself, so your recipe will probably be the winner. I appreciate the feedback :)

Ask a Question