Gluten-Free Orange Chiffon Cake Recipe

Reaction score
This cake was inspired by Rose Levy Beranbaum's Chiffon Orange Glow cake from her cookbook Heavenly Cakes. Family and friends raved about that cake after I served it at a family function. Of course I couldn't take a bite of it because it has gluten in it. That inspired me to make a gluten-free version that I could eat.

The attached photo shows the cakes after they are completely cooled and removed from the pan. Chiffon cake should be cooled upside down in the pan.

The cake on the left shows the color of the top crust. The cake on the right is after I removed the top crust. I hate crust. I remove the crust from all my cakes. I don't like the look of the dark crust line, especially with a light colored cake.

The crust on this cake is nice and moist. I simply take a sharp pairing knife and gently lift the crust off the top of the cake.

Personally I think this cake can pass for a gluten cake. It bakes up beautifully. No dips or deflating.

I use either cream cheese frosting or Italian meringue buttercream.

===========
===========

GF Orange Glow Chiffon Cake

DO NOT GREASE THE CAKE PANS!
DO NOT USE A NON-STICK OR ANODIZED ALUMINUM PAN

2 - 8" uncoated natural metal or aluminum cake pans. I use Chicago Metallic Commercial II UNCOATED

Line bottom of cake pans with parchment circles

Soak cloth baking strips while preparing batter (I use Wilton)

Set oven rack in center of oven.

Preheat oven 325 degrees

In mixer bowl beat on med-high with whisk attachment until foamy, but still translucent (kitchenaid setting 6)

• 210 grams egg whites, 70 degrees or warmer

Stop mixer, add to foamy translucent egg whites, continue beating on setting 6

• 3/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar

When egg whites begin to look opaque with lots of tiny bubbles add

• 50 grams cane sugar (C&H Brand)

Continue to beat egg whites on setting 6 until stiff peak stage. When properly beaten the egg whites will look moist, glossy, fluffy, and very smooth. I watch the eggs whites against the inside of the bowl. When the ring of egg whites against the bowl turns glossy and smooth, the whites are done. It takes about 5 minutes of beating.

While egg whites are beating, prepare dry and wet ingredients

In a large bowl whisk very well to blend. Set aside. It's important to use a big bowl because the batter will expand once you add the egg whites.
  • 75 grams white rice flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 75 grams potato starch (Japanese brand I purchase from the Asian market)
  • 25 grams tapioca starch (Thai brand I purchase from the Asian market)
  • 25 grams brown rice flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 12 grams baking powder (Rumfords aluminum-free, reduced sodium)
  • 5 grams xanthan gum (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 4 grams fine sea salt (Diamond Crystal)
  • 125 grams cane sugar (C&H--cane sugar makes a difference)
  • Zest from two large oranges

In separate bowl whisk until oil is incorporated into other liquids. Set aside until egg whites are finished beating

• 50 grams fresh orange juice
  • 40 grams Kefir (Trader Joe's Mango)
  • 40 grams coconut milk (JFC from Asian market)
  • 85 grams egg yolks
  • 75 grams neutral oil (canola)
By hand, using a whisk, mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth.

With a spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter until incorporated in 3 additions.

Squeeze excess water from baking strips and wrap round the cake pans.

Add 410 grams of batter to each UNGREASED cake pan.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Begin check after 30 minutes.

On chiffon cakes, I do both the spring touch test and toothpick test for doneness.

When done, turn upside down on an elevated cake rack until cool. Approximately 1 hour before removing from pan.

Attachments

• IMG_8721.JPG
    IMG_8721.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 470

Ask a Question