Gluten...? i don't know what it is.

Reaction score
so... what is gluten? i've been hearing it a lot... and i don't know what it is..... so what is it?
thank you. :)

Reaction score
Hi Anya =D Gluten refers to a protein that can be found in most breads, this protein is responsible for giving dough its elasticity and helps it rise once baked. Some people can't tolerate it well tho, hence they have a gluten-free diet. Most of them suffer from celiac disease, which means no gluten, aka no more cookies, pizza, bread, etc.

Reaction score
so... what is gluten? i've been hearing it a lot... and i don't know what it is..... so what is it?
thank you. :)

I was only introduce to the word close to the time I joined the forum and like you I had no clue what it meant. I like to Google everything so I did and came up with much the same as Trellum. I've been paying more than the usual attention as someone close to me has been dealing with some serious inflammatory issues and a gluten free diet has been "sort of" recommended.

What I will say though is that right now on the net you will find gluten free recipes for just about everything.

Reaction score
Hi Anya =D Gluten refers to a protein that can be found in most breads, this protein is responsible for giving dough its elasticity and helps it rise once baked. Some people can't tolerate it well tho, hence they have a gluten-free diet. Most of them suffer from celiac disease, which means no gluten, aka no more cookies, pizza, bread, etc.
thanks :D and here i thought gluten is another word for some ingredient in frosting :D

I was only introduce to the word close to the time I joined the forum and like you I had no clue what it meant. I like to Google everything so I did and came up with much the same as Trellum. I've been paying more than the usual attention as someone close to me has been dealing with some serious inflammatory issues and a gluten free diet has been "sort of" recommended.

What I will say though is that right now on the net you will find gluten free recipes for just about everything.
ooh. i have a habit of asking people for help rather than google :oops:

Reaction score
Anya, it's actually good to ask :) Real people can come up with more clear answers than Google most of the time, plus there are some things that are better left asked to people ;)

Reaction score
thanks :D and here i thought gluten is another word for some ingredient in frosting :D

ooh. i have a habit of asking people for help rather than google :oops:

I agree about the personalized touch but I have a long relationship with Google. It's been rocky at best as it sometimes sends me mix signals and a girl does not like mixed signals;). Even with the gluten free subject I might have been left a little confuse as times. So please Anya, please don't stop asking.:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question