Good rye flour

Reaction score
Is anyone out there aware of a quality rye flour? I used Hodgsons Mill for decades, but now that company has been sold. The new owners have discontinued their flours (rye, whole wheat & white). Their rye was superb flour, but now it’s gone. My bread is simply not as good anymore.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

Reaction score
Is anyone out there aware of a quality rye flour? I used Hodgsons Mill for decades, but now that company has been sold. The new owners have discontinued their flours (rye, whole wheat & white). Their rye was superb flour, but now it’s gone. My bread is simply not as good anymore.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

Central Milling, they supply the top bakeries in the nation and baking schools (Tartine, Josey Baker, Bouchon, San Francisco Baking Institute, Acme Bread, etc.) They are essentially a cooperative of famers, millers, and bakers. The flours are organic. The bakers (Giustos) are 4th generation, who are committed to a more holistic approach to baking. They are also owners; so they have a lot of say as to how the wheat is cultivated. They make many of their flours available to the home bakers by re-package their 50 lb sacks into 5 lb bags. It is only available online, and when we are not in lockdown due to COVID, their flours can be purchased at through their retail store from at their distribution center in Petaluma, California, Keith Giusto Bakery Supply

Anson Mills, theirs is a heirloom rye and coarse. Anson Mills flours is a small artisan farm and mill. They have amazing flours, cornmeal, rice, and grits—OMG, the grits. I mean real grits. And the cornmeal, if you eat real cornbread—I only make cornbread a couple times a year, and Anson’s is the the only cornmeal I will use. There is a learning curve with their flours because they are not milled like commercially milled flours. They only ship on certain days because they don’t want their flours sitting around in some hot truck or warehouse. Shipping isn’t cheap. Don’t complain. Either you want the flour or you don’t. Their flours are not for people who just bake, but for people who are passionate about baking.

Ask a Question