Good Travel Bar Recipe Request

Reaction score
I am going on a trip Friday and am looking to make some good 'travel bars'. I have a granola bar recipe I have used in the past: (I will attach the one I normally use here - its good but too 'cakie') I am looking for something that is not going to crumbly all over our laps. We are taking a 10 hour bus ride and I need something to keep us going and that is strong. Does anyone have a 'sturdy' granola bar recipe?

Ingredients
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
  • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 12-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
Toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.
Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the dates, apricots, and cranberries and stir well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into

Reaction score
Hello.
I make these often:
http://ifoodreal.com/quaker-chewy-chocolate-chip-protein-bars-recipe/
I like to add coconut and I have used different protein powder flavors (chocolate, cinnamon, etc) and changed the mix-ins.
Easy and delicious!
Have a safe trip!

Thanks! I checked it out and they look great. it almost looks like the ones you buy in the wrappers. I have most of the ingredients, so I'll go out and get the rest tomorrow and then try to bake a bunch for our trip. They look like they will do the trick to keep us energized and not too messy. Thanks again!

Reaction score
I'm glad you are going to make them! They are so versatile and delicious. If you are worried about mess, you might want to switch out the chocolate chips for something that won't melt (raisins, cranberries, nuts?).
Oh yeah--one more thing...I used powdered milk in place of the protein powder when I was out and it worked perfectly. It's much cheaper than protein powder!

Reaction score
Thanks Monkeyboots! I didn't have protein powder so it is good to know that I can use milk powder. I used to use soy powder all the time which I got fresh or roasted from a local farmers market. But my husband has a thyroid issue that soya is not good for so I don't use it anymore. I never thought of using milk powder! Thanks!

Ask a Question