Grandma's Polish Sweet Bread

Reaction score
How exciting. How long will you bake it? I noticed the recipe didn't say how long. Loaf pans I have, glass ones.

Scraper and the exact thermometer is harder to find. Tried Target online and in store, and Wal Mart online. Will take some time to gather all this.

Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
How exciting. How long will you bake it? I noticed the recipe didn't say how long. Loaf pans I have, glass ones.

Scraper and the exact thermometer is harder to find. Tried Target online and in store, and Wal Mart online. Will take some time to gather all this.

Fingers crossed!

I transferred the duo to a panda Tony mold because I was not liking the way the make shift mold was looking with all that dough.

When you bake cake and bread, your bake to temperature rather than bake for any particular time. For a enriched dough like this bread bake to 200°. I’ll check it out around the 15 minute mark to see what the temperature is.

You don’t need the exact thermometer or bench scraper. I just wanted to show you what I was talking about. The thermometer I have was purchased at a restaurant supply store. That particular brand is not stocked in retail stores.

Reaction score
I transferred the duo to a panda Tony mold because I was not liking the way the make shift mold was looking with all that dough.

When you bake cake and bread, your bake to temperature rather than bake for any particular time. For a enriched dough like this bread bake to 200°. I’ll check it out around the 15 minute mark to see what the temperature is.

You don’t need the exact thermometer or bench scraper. I just wanted to show you what I was talking about. The thermometer I have was purchased at a restaurant supply store. That particular brand is not stocked in retail stores.

Reaction score
Sounds like it grew a lot! Can it be possible to split it into 2 loaves, for future reference that is? I am curious about the temp as the recipe says 350 degrees.

Would a Home Depot scraper work? It is more rigid, but a lot cheaper, sometimes other things work as other things in this world. A plaster scraper is what I am thinking of. Or is the rigidity too much?

Target had a ridiculous priced KitchenAid scraper at $13+ in store, and there were a multitude of thermometers, I didn't see any "waterproof" ones, but did see instant read ones. Is the waterproof for yours sterilizing only?

Hope you are having fun doing this!!

Reaction score
Fully proofed and ready to bake

88DFA012-F6A4-4B27-99CF-94267C5B9E18.jpeg

It’s a beautiful loaf. The panettone mold is approximately 6 3/4” in diameter and 4 1/4” high. Loaf rose to 6 1/2” baked. So that’s really beautiful height.

I was reluctant to leave it in the makeshift mold because the bottom parchment circle was not attached to the collar. The collar went slightly askew as they dough began to rise. I thought the dough might expand into the gap between the parchment circle and the collar. That would cause the loaf baked into a deformed blob.

So I’m glad I transferred it to the panettone mold.

I’m not going to cut into this bread because I’m going to give it to a friend. I cannot eat gluten. If slice it I won’t be able to give it away. And then it will just simply go to waste. And I don’t want to waste it.

But I do think that the crumb should be relatively open. As I was kneading and shaping it I could see the air pockets. And if you look closely at the photo you can see a couple their pockets on the surface.

I’ll post the full recipe and instructions as soon as I finish typing them out. I’ll include the bakers percentages as well

498031B5-9572-4AFA-9BBF-CC14358386C4.jpeg

Reaction score
Sounds like it grew a lot! Can it be possible to split it into 2 loaves, for future reference that is? I am curious about the temp as the recipe says 350 degrees.

Would a Home Depot scraper work? It is more rigid, but a lot cheaper, sometimes other things work as other things in this world. A plaster scraper is what I am thinking of. Or is the rigidity too much?

Target had a ridiculous priced KitchenAid scraper at $13+ in store, and there were a multitude of thermometers, I didn't see any "waterproof" ones, but did see instant read ones. Is the waterproof for yours sterilizing only?

Hope you are having fun doing this!!

If it’s not waterproof when you wash the probe there’s the risk of water getting inside and ruining it. After accidentally ruining a couple of the thermometers I finally wised up and purchased a waterproof one. I’ve had this thermometer for about for 4 years now. I’ve dropped it in a sink full of water a few times. I have not ruined it yet.

Reaction score
Try googling restaurant supply stores in your area. If you live in a city I would suspect there would be a restaurant supply store in your town. Restaurant supply stores carry these items at a much better price then you can purchase at retail stores like target. And the quality is far better because the products are designed for commercial kitchens. Most every restaurant supply store is open to the public.

Reaction score
Fully proofed and ready to bake

View attachment 1170

It’s a beautiful loaf. The panettone mold is approximately 6 3/4” in diameter and 4 1/4” high. Loaf rose to 6 1/2” baked. So that’s really beautiful height.

I was reluctant to leave it in the makeshift mold because the bottom parchment circle was not attached to the collar. The collar went slightly askew as they dough began to rise. I thought the dough might expand into the gap between the parchment circle and the collar. That would cause the loaf baked into a deformed blob.

So I’m glad I transferred it to the panettone mold.

I’m not going to cut into this bread because I’m going to give it to a friend. I cannot eat gluten. If slice it I won’t be able to give it away. And then it will just simply go to waste. And I don’t want to waste it.

But I do think that the crumb should be relatively open. As I was kneading and shaping it I could see the air pockets. And if you look closely at the photo you can see a couple their pockets on the surface.

I’ll post the full recipe and instructions as soon as I finish typing them out. I’ll include the bakers percentages as well

View attachment 1169

Reaction score
Oh that is SO PRETTY! Though I don't remember the shine on the top it looks beautiful. can't wait to see the inside when it is finally cut! I want a pic of the inside, then I will know for sure.

I didn't realize the paper went on the outside, not the inside of the pan.

I hope it smells good in your home!

I did a google search and nada. I will have to do online it seems.

Can't wait to see the insides...........J

Reaction score
Oh that is SO PRETTY! Though I don't remember the shine on the top it looks beautiful. can't wait to see the inside when it is finally cut! I want a pic of the inside, then I will know for sure.

I didn't realize the paper went on the outside, not the inside of the pan.

I hope it smells good in your home!

I did a google search and nada. I will have to do online it seems.

Can't wait to see the insides...........J

I’m not going to cut this loaf. If I cut it I will not be able to give it away. I cannot eat anything with gluten because I have a disease called celiac‘s.

But the surface is full of air bubbles. And as it cools, I can see more air pockets. So this crumb should be open.

The showing is from an egg wash. You don’t have to put an egg wash on the bread. I always add it because it makes it look more appetizing.

I have to tell you the entire house smells heavenly. The aroma of the bread alone is absolutely delicious.

Reaction score
It looks poofy and light, as was grandma's, hard to slice for toast due to the air. But oh my..............

Reaction score
I’m not going to cut this loaf. If I cut it I will not be able to give it away. I cannot eat anything with gluten because I have a disease called celiac‘s.

But the surface is full of air bubbles. And as it cools, I can see more air pockets. So this crumb should be open.

The showing is from an egg wash. You don’t have to put an egg wash on the bread. I always add it because it makes it look more appetizing.

I have to tell you the entire house smells heavenly. The aroma of the bread alone is absolutely delicious.

Reaction score
Your friend HAS TO TAKE A PICTURE THEN sliced!!!! Mandatory I see the inside, I have to see it. But oh my, it looks stunning, and I am ever so grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
If this had been baked in a smaller mold this thing would probably have bloomed it to 8 inches in height. It really is a lovely loaf.

Reaction score
Yes, it was a tall or maybe not so tall as what I see of yours, 3-4" base and probably just as tall on the top, mushroom like looking bread. Maybe not as tall and straight up as yours, but it was airy for sure! I just sent a pic to my cousin who knows this bread well as well as I. Why they make (the Polish) so heavy is a mystery to me. It was a super light, sweet, airy bread......a super treat. I sure hope you give it to someone who is a good enough friend that she/he or you can take a picture of a slice.........thank you soo much....... yay you gal!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, it was a tall mushroom like looking bread. Maybe not as tall and straight up as yours, but it was airy for sure! I just sent a pic to my cousin who knows this bread well as well as I. Why they make (the Polish) so heavy is a mystery to me. It was a super light, sweet, airy bread......a super treat. I sure hope you give it to someone who is a good enough friend that she/he or you can take a picture of a slice.........thank you soo much....... yay you gal!

You’re welcome. I’ll try to post the full recipe and instructions tomorrow. The house smells so good—If that bread tastes half as good as it smells my friend is in for a big treat.

Ask a Question