Granton Knife: The Perfect Cake Slicing Solution

Reaction score
I’ve been searching for the perfect knife to torte and slice cake. Even the serrated knives that work beautifully for bread are too thick, so create drag and ends up damaging the crumb. So a chef suggested a meat slicing knife by Granton. Granton Knife Company of Sheffield apparently created a unique a blade that slices through food very cleanly. And the design of the blade is such that food doesn’t stick to it as much. This style of blade has become so popular with chefs that other companies are reproducing the design.

I see now why the Granton is so loved. This knife is significantly thinner than the serrated knife I’ve been using for some 20 yrs. It just glides through cake. And it’s significantly longer, so easier to torte 10” rounds. I love this knife so much I’m thinking about purchasing a second one to actually use to slice meat. This one is for cake only.

Granton knife spine on left
Henckels serrated knife spine on right
5742689E-C9A6-4C17-8CE4-7F56419A2641.jpeg

Granton knife on left
Henckels Serrated knife on right.
4427DA7D-5490-4BC7-8ACD-68934F8F7AFF.jpeg

Reaction score
Oh wow, I had no idea that Granton knives are also popular on the other side of the pond! I usually use a carving knife to slice my cakes, but that's mainly because it's the longest knife I've got. I might have to take a look at those long knives, they look great :)

Reaction score
Oh wow, I had no idea that Granton knives are also popular on the other side of the pond! I usually use a carving knife to slice my cakes, but that's mainly because it's the longest knife I've got. I might have to take a look at those long knives, they look great :)

Apparently those dimples on the Granton blade are key to the knife slicing cleanly through food. The dimples keep the food from sticking to the knife. The design works so we’ll other Nice manufacturers have copied the style of blade. They even market their blades as a “Granton blade”.

I purchased the knife from a merchant that deals almost exclusively in high end Japanese chef knives. The Granton brand is only one of two western brands they carry.

So I’m thinking now of purchasing another slicer, as well as a Granton chef knife. Nothing irritates me more than having vegetables stick to the knife blade. :mad: So it would be worth it to have a knife that will cut through cleanly.

I really do like the length of the blade as well. Most of the cakes I bake are 10”. The serrated knife I’ve been using is only 7”, so I had to spin the cake on the turntable half a dozen times to slice all the way around the cake. ;) But this extra long blades is longer than the diameter of the10” cake, so once around and the cake is sliced. :D

Reaction score

Lol, I just got an advertisement email from a commercial kitchenware company that I buy a lot of supplies from. At the top of the email was a knife that has a blade that is not a Granton— but is a dead on copy of the Granton! The heading is “Make your dream kitchen to reality”. Then it mentions “the sharpest cutlery.”

I’m telling you American chefs love that Granton knife blade:D It totally rocks in the kitchen. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this knife before. I’m buying another one.

D9C4F0E1-02B6-48C9-9AF4-0A7253A752CB.png

Reaction score
I've been looking at them on Amazon recently! Added one to my wishlist, so hopefully I'll get one for my birthday :D

Ask a Question