Greetings from the Land of 10,000 Lakes!

Reaction score
Hiya, I'm Baker Man. I'm a second generation baker that's looking to diversify. I grew up in the kitchens of a wedding cake baking business and I have the belly jiggle to prove it. I enjoy baking cakes and cookies, but my brownies, pies and pastries are lacking. I'm a "From Scratch" kind of prep and bake guy, so I'm hoping to share some of my family secrets while hopefully learning from you fine folks.

I'm completely serious about the brownies though. I'm terrible at it. I just made a batch tonight and they came out gooey in all the wrong places.

Also, I'm here to hopefully pick up a few tricks on replacing ingredients due to food allergies. I have food allergies, my family has them and pretty much everyone I know has them. I'd love to bake for my loved ones without sending them to the hospital. Help!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have recently posted a thread asking about wedding cake help so I look forward to learning from your expertise. And I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to help you with that brownie problem. If you're in to cakes its more about the fluff - but brownies are about the richness. The denser the better - a real cake no no. What type of allergies does your family have? Maybe you could start a thread about that? I am looking into more recipe's with food allergies as well. My husband and I look forward to reading more from you on the forum. Happy posting! :)

Reaction score
Thank you very much fellow Laker! I am at your beck and call for wedding cake info, no worries.

Well, I have allergies to nuts, apples, pears, peaches, kiwi, and plums. Also due to dietary restrictions due to a medical issue, I'm not supposed to have anything with seeds, including strawberries. This really doesn't come up much with baking, because I don't make fruit or nut based cakes and I'm not all that hot on pies.

But it's my wife and in-laws that have the real allergy issues. Between the 3 of them I'm dealing with lactose intolerance, gluten allergies, wheat allergies, acidic fruit like pineapple, mangos and a few vegetables.

It's hard to bake a cake when you can't use dairy or flour. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the welcome and I'll be sure to start a thread about allergies here in little bit. ;)

Reaction score
Welcome to our group! :) Gosh that's a lot of dietary requirements to cater for!

Reaction score
Welcome to our group! :) Gosh that's a lot of dietary requirements to cater for!

Thank you very much. It's good to be here.

Yeah, we're dealing with quite a few requirements but I don't let it stop me from having fun and trying new methods and recipes.

LOL, I was just about to request any suggestions you might have in my thread about food allergies over in Baking Banter, but you've already posted there. :eek:

Ask a Question