Grinding your own flour?

Reaction score
does anyone grind your own flour? have you noticed it being significantly fresher and better than store bought? wondering if its worth the trouble. it seems like it might yield wonderful fresh results (when coupled with wonder baking techniques!)

Reaction score
does anyone grind your own flour? have you noticed it being significantly fresher and better than store bought? wondering if its worth the trouble. it seems like it might yield wonderful fresh results (when coupled with wonder baking techniques!)

I’ve known a couple of bakers who grind their own flour. It’s certainly an enjoyable process for those who want to embrace the full process.

I explored it but decided it just was not for me. It’s a pretty complex process that may produce inconsistent results.

I’m fortunate to live near Keith Giusto Barkers Supplys, the partner and distributor for Central Milling flours. Central milling is the flour supplier for the nation’s top bakers and bakeries so I have access to fresh quality flours.

And too, they provide the specs on each flour so I can develop my recipes accordingly.

http://www.kgbakerysupply.com/

https://centralmilling.com/

Reaction score
Weirdly I was looking at this recently! I'm planning on buying some crushed rye malt, which I could either use as it is or grind it into a flour. Given the small amount, and the fact I wouldn't need to get it particularly fine, I was looking at a hand grinder. I'm not sure whether I'll go for it though...

Ask a Question