Ham & Egg Breakfast Cups with Hash Browns

Reaction score
Wow, I just ate breakfast, but this recipe still looks really yummy. I was over looking for a dessert recipe and came across this one, so I decided to share. This recipe gives instructions for making them from scratch, but you could probably quicken it up by using frozen hash browns.
ham-and-egg-breakfast-cups-with-hash-browns-R109787-ss.jpg

Ham Cups:
  • 8 slices sugar-cured deli ham
  • 4 tablespoons 1 ounce shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Hash Browns:
  • 1 pound Idaho potatoes
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

directions
Ham and Egg Cups:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 8 muffin cups with cooking spray. Set aside.
Position 1 slice of ham in each of the muffin cups, doubling each slice over to insure that there are no holes in the bottom of the ham "cups." Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of the cheese and about 1/2 tablespoon scallions in the bottom of each cup.
Place one raw egg in each ham cup. Sprinkle each egg lightly with pepper. Bake about 15 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove the egg cups using the ham to lift onto serving plates.
Hash Browns:
Peel potatoes. Grate them using the coarse side of the grater and squeeze out water. Place grated potatoes in a small bowl and toss with scallions, salt and pepper.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Place potato mixture in pan and flatten to cover bottom with a spatula. Cook for 7 minutes or until deep, golden brown.
Place a dinner plate over skillet and flip them both over, so browned side of hash browns is facing up. Place remaining oil in skillet and reduce heat to medium. Carefully slide hash browns back into skillet and cook for an additional 6 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Remove from pan and cut into wedges.
NUTRITION INFORMATION
Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 132, Fat, total (g) 8, chol. (mg) 299, sat. fat (g) 3, carb. (g) 2, pro. (g) 12, sodium (mg) 458, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Reaction score
That does look tasty. I just saw something kind of similar at the store the other day, except the cups were made from the hash browns and then stuffed with scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, and cheese. Ham could work too, if you make the recipe or a mock up of this at home. I think I'll try making some for my kiddo. She's a fussy eater, but she likes breakfast (sometimes for lunch or dinner even).

Your recipe would also be good for serving brunch.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well that just sounds like a very pleasant way to start the day. I have always been a proponent of the whole breakfast is the most important meal of the day thing, and so I always like to start out the day on a good note when it come to my meals. Some good protein is usually a good way to go, and you have got me there. Thanks for sharing this.

Reaction score
These look like something my husband would really enjoy! I'm not an egg lover but he is and I think the presentation of these are really cute too! And like Chester said, it's something you can make in a cupcake or muffin pan so that's convenient, too!

Reaction score
This is will surely be a delicious and yummy breakfast...hash brown, ham and egg all my favorite to eat during breakfast. I like the idea of ham cups..and like what @Zyni had said this recipe would also be good for serving brunch. Thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
Yum, y'all have some great ideas. I'll bet the muffin cups could be lined with hash browns, then those lined with bacon, then the eggs cooked in the center. That sounds so delicious, I'm making myself hungry thinking about it.

Reaction score
I think I've made something similar to this! And the hashbrowns were baked in the muffin pan first so they were a little crunchy first - otherwise you end up with a soggy mess. They were quite good - but key is to definitely bake hashbrowns first! :)

Ask a Question