Hand Mixer vs. Wooden Spoon

Reaction score
Sometimes when I am making a cake I get lazy. Instead of getting my hand mixer out, I just use a wooden spoon. It's a lot more work to make sure everything gets mixed together, but I find myself doing this more often.
Do you ever skip the hand mixer and just use a wooden spoon? Do you think it makes a big difference?
Should I stop being lazy and get the hand mixer out?

Reaction score
I do the same thing sometimes. It takes longer to use the wooden spoon. But I don't mind doing it. Sometimes, I think it's more trouble to get the hand mixer down from the top shelf and turn it on. It's so much easier just to grab a wooden spoon and start stirring.

Reaction score
I used a whisk tonight because the electric mixer was interfering with family members watching TV. Never thought of using a wooden spoon even though I love the darn things. I use them for just about everything else.

Reaction score
It all depends on my mood and how I'm feeling. I tend to use either one but prefer the hand mixed because it's faster. I hate cleaning up the mixer afterwards but when baking/cooking you're always going to have things to be washed.

Reaction score
For me there is no choice. I never get my hand mixer out, not sure why I even have it. I have MS and limited strength. Beating things with a wooden spoon isn't going to happen, neither is holding a hand mixer. It's the kitchen aid stand mixer for me every time.

Because of it I can still bake bread most days, along with other things. And I do love baking.:)

Reaction score
I have become so lazy nowadays that i have become totally dependent on my hand mixer at times i think it's screaming out for some rest. I think i need to take up my wooden spoon more often this year.

Reaction score
For me there is no choice. I never get my hand mixer out, not sure why I even have it. I have MS and limited strength. Beating things with a wooden spoon isn't going to happen, neither is holding a hand mixer. It's the kitchen aid stand mixer for me every time.

Because of it I can still bake bread most days, along with other things. And I do love baking.:)

Similar. I bought a hand mixer for ten bucks and then never used it. I think partly because it was a crappy one, first setting was way too fast. But I knew this purchasing it so I'm still not sure why I bothered.

I use whatever I feel like, really. Sometimes a spoon, sometimes a whisk, sometimes a fork (a fork is my go to for buttercream frosting!)

Reaction score
I like to use a spoon so I can feel the batter. For Canada it's hard to do it by hand and get all the lumps out, but for a lot of things the spoon works better and I feel I have more control and know just when to stop.

Ask a Question